The Sewing Place

Heat Transfer Vinyl

Sara-S

Heat Transfer Vinyl
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:35:15 PM »
Yesterday, I got to play with a bunch of my gadgets.  I made a tallit bag- a lined storage pouch For a traditional Jewish prayer shawl. (Among more traditional Jews, only men wear them. I am not so traditional and choose to wear one myself.)

I used just 2 fat quarters- one for the outside and one for the lining. The swatch above the pouch shows the lining fabric.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The letters spell talit in Hebrew. I used my Cricut Maker machine to cut them. The crown is just decorative. I used silver glitter heat-transfer vinyl (HTV) and pressed it in with my Cricut Easy Press. It runs hotter and is larger than an iron.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The letters on this side are also in HTV and spell my Hebrew name-Sara Ella. The snaps are magnetic and were attached with a Kam Snap Press.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:37:52 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Efemera

Re: Heat Transfer Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 13:13:08 PM »
Doesn’t it alter the feel of the fabric?... does it make it really stiff? I have a Cricut and was thinking about doing some vinyl stuff.

Sara-S

Re: Heat Transfer Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 13:19:34 PM »
Yes, HTV will affect the fabric feel, where it is applied. But it doesn’t make the whole thing unduly stiff. It is often used on clothing to personalize, add team logos to sweatshirts or jackets, etc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 13:48:49 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.