The Sewing Place

Scissor recommendations please

Ploshkin

Re: Scissor recommendations please
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 14:09:41 PM »
I have some Kai scissors with 3" blades (that's 3" from the pivot point - don't know how they're officially measured but they're 7" from handle to tip)
They are finely serrated and they are my most used scissors.  They cut right to the tips and are brilliant for notches and cutting out small stuff.
I find the most important thing with big scissors is how comfortable the handles are because I have crappy hands.
Life's too short for ironing.

Puzzler

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 15:56:45 PM »
I decided to retire German made Henckels as they have dulled. I just ordered a pair of Fiskers Amplify Razoredge scissors. Those and some LED bulbs for my Featherweight arrive tomorrow.  :D

Elnnina

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
Like others I have many pairs of scissors, some going back to when I was a teenager which still get used occasionally.  I also have all my scissors for sewing and embroidery hidden well away from anyone else.  I then bought some Fiskars, only on the blade they say Wilkinson Sword, but now my favourite ones again by Fiskars and these are called soft touch and are American, they are spring loaded and the whole hand can go in the lower part of the handle.  Then I needed some fine grip scissors and all I could find at that time and of course in a hurry was a pair by Mundial and supposedly have a very fine serrated edge to the blades.  Of course I have numerous other pairs of scissors large and small for all sorts of work - mostly Fiskars and a few pairs of what were called surgical scissors that are lovely and sharp and ideal for embroidery.  My late friend gave me a few pairs of scissors and I also inherited some of the smaller Fiskars from my mother.  Then I have two pairs of duckbilled scissors a normal large pair and then a very tiny pair suitable for lingerie work.

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 05:58:39 AM »
I bought Fiskars about 15 years ago, and while better than most of my no-name cheapies- I truly wasn't impressed. I suspect newer Fiskars may not be the quality of older ones.

Developing a small amount of arthritis in my hands, my 8 year old Gingher tailor points began to give me massive difficulty. I really only notice my arthritis when I'm using scissors. The metal fingerholes of the tailorpoints were so small/uncomfortable, I literally have to use my left hand to pull them off of my right - I can't just lay them down.

I decided to buy 9-1/2" dressmakers from Kai, due to their large plastic handles. They cut amazing and are so comfortable! Two weeks later my Sis gifted me a new pair of 8" Ginghers. I had to feign excitement as I was worried the metal handles would be problematic. Not so! They, too, are amazing. I find being able to switch between the two uses slightly different muscles in my hands and alleviates pain when cutting an entire project. Plus, if one pair needs sharpening I'll have another to use while I wait.

I plan on buying a 5" or 6" pair of Kai's to replace the tailorpoints at the machine. In the meantime, I had a cheap pair of Japanese 5" scissors sharpened for $2.

I'd highly recommend having older quality scissors sharpened over purchasing mediocre newer ones. Plus it's good for the planet not to toss things.

sewingj

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 08:16:21 AM »
@Esme866  I'm guessing you have somewhere local that will sharpen scissors? Such places are rare in the UK. I just did a quick Google search and found nowhere near me and one online company said their charges start at £20!

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 09:23:53 AM »
@sewingj ask your local fancy hairdresser. They may well have someone who comes in and you could leave yours too. Get in on a job lot and not have to pay a callout fee.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

maliw

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 11:12:23 AM »
I have Fiskars and Kai, like them both although the Fiskars are years old.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Esme866

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2020, 18:57:13 PM »
@sewingj I did use a large local facility, took the best knife I had and the cheap pair of Japanese scissors. Basically, I wasn't impressed. Scissors wre ok - anything would be an improvement, but the knife wasn't acceptable.

Kai has authorized dealers to sharpen their scissors. The one I know of in the states is 3000 miles away. Until I find someone worthwhile locally, I'll be sending the Kai's via post.

There are numerous individuals locally with simple signs posted on their property.  Usually people looking to supplement their incomes. I'll be trying those - or I may look for other sources to post to.

In years gone by, my father could have put a razor's edge on a pair of Ginghers and kitchen knives became lethal weapons. But he has lost the dexterity. So now I am practicing with his stones.

Knives are easier than scissors. I would expect anyone that can sharpen a pair of Kai's would probably be able to handle any brand - if they have the time.

Lots of options.

But mostly - I am pampering both pairs and I expect it will be a few years before either require work. Neither pair has touched a piece of paper or an iron-on interfacing and both have protective cases.

The only reason my best knife needed to be sharpened was because I stored it in the silver drawer and it chipped.

Lesson learned.

HooliganHeart

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 19:39:52 PM »
I know it's an older post, but for the folks that are back in the good ole UK.....you should be checking out William Whiteley's i say  :thumbsup:
While your at it.....i'll have a pair of those gorgeous Exo shears (in silver plz & thx).

I own/use a pair of 10" Ginghers, 8" Ginghers, Gingher thread snips and a pair of 12" Mundials for the heavy stuff.

ps: more folks should consider having your scissors sharpened rather than buying another pair.....don't pamper them but use them for the right job at hand and sharpen as necessary...just like any knife...they are just a cutting tool after all  :thumbsup: and most can be sharpened quite easily.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 19:55:49 PM »

@HooliganHeart can you recommend how best to sharpen sewing scissors?
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Kwaaked

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2020, 07:32:20 AM »
I usually use 10" Kai's and multiple Gingher's.  I don't recommend Kai, being left handed I think it is utterly stupid I have to pay more for them and because I didn't purchase them direct (but from an authorized dealer) when I had a problem they refused to honor their own warranty.  But if you order direct and want to deal with it, they are good scissors if there's no problem but the extra cost to punish me for being left handed and less then stellar customer service ran me off years ago.

I have my grandmother's Gingher's here that I use (although right handed), and I have a variety of them.  Biggest issue is they are heavier then other brands, but they last and Gingher will honor any problem regardless of age and have their own sharpening service. 

On Gingher, I have 8" dressmaker shears, 5" tailor points (which out of all of them, they are my favorite), 8" silk shears and a duckbill.

I have a Guggenheim and they're ok...cut as good as Kai, but the weight is off in my hand because they are lighter then Kai and much lighter then Gingher.  Same with Korbond...both cut very well and are very light.

I have Gingher snips (I don't like them as well, but they look awesome so these are the ones I use with customers who have to see my tools) and actual work ones I use Wiss because I can get replacement blades and I'm cheap (although they work better then any other I've used).

My pattern paper cutter is from A Wright and Son, 10" wall paper trimmer. 

Bar none, Ernest Wright is the best hands down.  But you pay for it.

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 08:15:25 AM »
I have a pair of 5" stainless steel Janome's, which are better than the expensive Ernest Wright's I bought a few years' ago. I always meant to take them with me when I went to a Knitting & stitching show and stop by the stand, but never did.

HooliganHeart

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2020, 16:55:47 PM »
@Kayfersmum

Hiya, I use a couple of whetstones to keep the scissors/shears keen. If you sharpen kitchen knives, then honestly there is no difference with the other. For those that don't feel comfortable carrying this out themselves, I would still recommend having them sharpened locally (or sent away if need be) as always cheaper than purchasing new (if you have a decent pair to start off with). I usually carry this out once yearly  :thumbsup:

Kwaaked

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2020, 17:16:28 PM »
I have to drive 2 hours to get my scissors sharpened, and they usually take 2 weeks if I go back to pick them up or 3-4 months if they come to pick up at my shop and redeliver if they are in the area.  Because of that, I mostly have several pairs I use...half are sharpened at a time so I always have some on hand, and duplicate pairs of many of them.  Because of work, I always have some scissors in for sharpening (they pu/deliver with 6+ pairs). 

Funny, I can actually sharpen my own scissors (and knives, axes and anything else with an edge)...I used to work for a company that did them back in the day, but I still prefer to send them off. 

Catllar

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »
It's impossible to find anyone here to sharpen scissors so I do the best I can with a whetstone. We have a shop in Figueres but as the border is currently closed that's not possible and there's one in Barcelona ( and it would've been perfect as I have no work on - only me stuff) I did take my Kai's with me to Japan but I guess that is a bit of a long way and got them redone there once, but I didn't make the journey specially for the scissors you understand ! ;) What we won't do for our craft!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !