The Sewing Place

Marriage proposals

Lantana

Marriage proposals
« on: May 09, 2017, 21:02:34 PM »
Following on from various other threads I wonder if any of you can remember your marriage proposal. I'm guessing us older ones were proposed to by the man and the younger ones were more equal. Oh and I include the suggesting of living together.

My first husband on hearing that my Dad was secretary of his branch of USDAW and also treasurer of our villages Labour Party branch and having told me that his Dad was a communist and his mother a member of the Labour Party said:-

'We're both from good proletariat stock we may as well get wed'.

I agreed (but went home to look up 'proletariat') 0_0

Sadly he hadn't got his Dads carpentry skills which I assumed came with the territory.

Lanty  :vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

Lantana

Re: Marriage proposals
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 21:07:33 PM »
One of my friends had the following proposal after they'd had a particularly bad row  :devil::-

'You make a rotten girlfriend but you'd make a good wife will you marry me?'

As my friend was anxious to get away from her parents she agreed!

:vintage:

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 21:44:17 PM »
*Stares at ring finger and mutters "6 bloody years" under her breath*

I shall enjoy these stories and live vicariously through you all  0_0

Kittensposies

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 22:01:58 PM »
Lol at the marrying within the proletariat!! That's brilliant!!

OH proposed to me in the car, at 80mph driving down the M6, with a Haribo ring.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 22:05:24 PM »
I really can't remember what happened the first time. The second time we just drifted into it... there was no great proposal.He wasn't and still isn't very romantic.. neither am I so we're well suited.

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 22:07:56 PM »
Mine was soooo romantic <3 <3 <3  not... 'I suppose we could get married'... something must have been ok.. 33  years later and we are still together.. but he's still the least romantic man on the planet and I'm used to it now.. the first few years it bothered me .. but if he gave me flowers and chocolate now I'd be shocked
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 22:10:28 PM by Vegegrow »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Mama likes to make

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 22:12:05 PM »
We were in New York on my birthday and he took me to Tiffanys to pick a ring (he had booked an appointment unknown to me) and then very meanly took it off me! He gave it to me over dinner later that day along with a beer mat that said will you marry me (a very long story to do with a radio show promotion/competition that was going on in Ireland at the time!). We'll be together 19 years  and married 11 later on this year.

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 22:21:23 PM »
I don't recall any proposal, we just decided to get married 10 weeks after we met.  That was 23 years ago.  We had been neighbours for 4 years before meeting but our paths never crossed.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 22:27:54 PM »
I've been engaged 11 times.  You could say that I'm a girl who just can't say no, but actually I blame it on this 'thing' where a proposal has to be so public.  If someone proposes to you generally you are in a position where you are at least quite fond of them so you don't want to embarrass them.  Funnily enough, maybe not, the least low key proposal was from the man I actually married  0_0 I had been on a hen night and I came home totally bored and thinking I might return to London and he said maybe we should get married.  I kind of said whatever, and went to bed and when I got up next day he was ringing around telling everyone we were engaged.  I have been proposed to on a flight to Paris which was rather sweet and I was almost tempted to go through with it except we were too similar in personality and it would never have worked but he had his work colleagues on board and to be fair it did last six weeks.  The most romantic proposal was probably at Davy Foxes pub (or similar name, can't quite remember) in the Wicklow Mountains in Dublin.  I actually nearly married him, the church was booked and the dress nearly completed (sorry muv!).  Another weird proposal was the farmer from Norfolk.  He proposed terribly nicely at a dinner party and extravagantly presented a clearly expensive ring.  I equally prettily said yes and held out my hand for the ring to be put on finger, which he duly did.  A couple of weeks later he took the ring back and said that I could only have it back when I was pregnant because he had no intentions of marrying someone until he knew they could provide the 'heir and spare' to his farming business and I hadn't shown much enthusiasm in coming off the pill.  There was also the engagement to one of my loves who forgot to mention that he wasn't exactly free to marry and his wife turned up about a month before the wedding (sorry again muv for the wasted wedding dress). And then there's the recent one where all was going so well, never a cross word, and then he said that he had to go to New Zealand to be with his children (even though he had broken up his marriage to come to England because he couldn't stand being in New Zealand and the wife wouldn't leave - in hindsight a lot of non compromising going on there) and because his children were so young couldn't really have travelled alone for years to see him.  Which I got, but wish he had decided earlier.   But that was a lovely proposal too, where he had put Toby the Thug's  eye drops into a box (him being a vet) and told me to make sure I read the instructions carefully and when I did it was a marriage proposal.  So yeah, proposals are great but bear no relation (in my book) to actual marriage!  But looking forward to reading everyone else's happy ever afters.  As saying goes, every story has a happy ending, it just depends whereabouts you end the story. 

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 22:53:50 PM »
Only one proposal for me, I was almost 17 and we had been going out for about 6 weeks.  It was another year before we dared to tell my parents, they didn't really approve of my relationship with a Rocker.

We married when I had just turned 20 and he was 21.

44 years later we are still going strong.  He annoys the hell out of me sometimes but I'm sure I annoy him just as much at others.

He's not a bit romantic but I know I can always count on him 100%. 

As I said to my friend the other day, he may be a cantankerous old b****r but he's my cantankerous old b****r.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Mama likes to make

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 23:20:24 PM »
RD is it Johnnie Fox's you're thinking of?

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 23:21:12 PM »
11 times... 6 weeks... *mutters some sort of expletive*
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 23:23:43 PM by Francesca »

Ravingdoll

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 23:26:19 PM »
RD is it Johnnie Fox's you're thinking of?

Yes that'll be the one!!  A real Irish jig kind of band were playing at the time.  Great atmosphere! 

**in fact 'twas the chap who was named Davey come to think. Fab view of Dublin Bay from those mountains. Fond memories**
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 23:53:24 PM by Ravingdoll »

Lantana

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 01:30:30 AM »
Just looked in to see if anyone had shared their stories. Romantic proposals seem a bit thin on the ground but a fair few imaginative ones in exotic places! Have enjoyed reading them all.

Oh Raving Doll what can I say? 11!!!!! Norfolks a big county but from now on I shall be looking at all the farmers and wondering, 'are you the one?' I used to say to my prole, when it transpired that his practical skills were worse than zero, 'I wish I'd persevered at the young farmers club' seems I may have had a lucky escape!

My first did used to thrust a bunch of flowers into my hands on a Saturday night which I found touching if a little out of character (he'd given me a really big Easter egg soon after we got engaged I was so excited ....... then he owned up that it was only 'because I made a mistake with the decimal currency didn't mean to get such a big one') then I found out that they were practically giving them away on Norwich market just as he was leaving off work!

In the 80s I was friendly with someone whose marriage had been arranged by their parents and she couldn't get her head round the way we did things! She maybe had a point!

:vintage:

Lyn-J

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
I got engaged to someone I had know for thirteen days!
Married him 6 months later, when I turned 18, and we're still married.
Lynne