The Sewing Place

Knickers/Panties, Stretch leftfovers, Coverstitch

Morgan

Knickers/Panties, Stretch leftfovers, Coverstitch
« on: May 10, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
This is a favourite tutorial

A straight forward, well photographed tutorial and a great project for some batch sewing of stretchy leftovers.
Ideal for making the most of your coverstitch machine. 

Tutorial

Extend the idea for sleep bras and pre-teen modesty bra and panties sets. 

This tutorial illustrates using picot elastic, but you can adapt the process for using plush foldover elastic,eg. sew side seams first and attach the elastic in the round.  Ideal for boys underpants.  Also consider using a single needle for a chain stitch instead of a coverstitch illustrated here to attach a band - but you can adapt the process for FOE to wrap the edge and stitch in 1 pass rather than 2.

You can use a sewing machine -  use the zigzag, broken zigzag or serpentine stitches on a sewing machine or the twin needle on a sewing machine. 

Extra Tip
For a soft and stretchy finish on the inside use woolly nylon thread in the looper on a coverstitch or in the bobbin on a sewing machine.  It's also known as polybulk, 80s bulk, bulk nylon and there are several different brands.   If tunnelling happens when using woolly nylon thread - reduce the tension on the looper on a coverstitch and on a SM depending on the type of bobbin case either reduce the tension a little or bypass the tension clip as you would with shirring elastic.

Extra Tip
when you have your TNT knickers pattern(s), whenever you cut out something from a stretch fabric like a top, if the fabric is suitable, from the leftovers cut out some panties and pop them in a bag ready to just sew several pairs at once in a batch sewing session as and when you've sourced some elastic for the edges. 
When they're cut out in advance, you'll be amazed at how many you can sew in just 1hr.

Ellabella

Re: Knickers/Panties, Stretch leftfovers, Coverstitch
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 11:46:15 AM »
Always mean to have a go at knickers, I even bought the elastic. Good idea to store the prepared pieces for a sewing session.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 19:50:02 PM »
Thanks for that Morgan. One of these days.......
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

maliw

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 20:06:07 PM »
Thanks for that Morgan. A couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and deconstructed an old pair of pants that I like and made some.I used the zigzag on my machine but now I should be able to use my coverstitch machine if I can get it too play nicely. Why did I wait so long, they were really easy? The only thing is where do you get the elastic? I've had problems finding white lingerie elastic, I got some from Abakhan but it was in the sale and they didn't have any more.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

DementedFairy

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 20:26:16 PM »
I had a little fad of knicker making a couple of years back [still wearing most of the knickers too.  Some fabric comboc were better than others, mainly I liked the powermesh ones, with pretty lace...but the whole batch went grey in one wash lol
Meh, I'm not fussy!

I still have a bag of elastic and trim waiting for when I get the bug again, all of it bought on eBay, dead cheap, loads of lovely colours
C'est moi!

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 21:02:02 PM »
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Fiona M

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »
I had great success with the Kitschy Coo 'Barrie' pattern, which does not use elastic.  I need to make some more.
https://kitschy-coo.co.uk/products/the-barrie-boy-cut-briefs-sewing-pattern-for-teens-and-women-pdf
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:56:48 AM by Fiona M »

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
The Sewing Chest has lots of lingerie elastic, some cheap, some not but always good quality in my experience. EBay is always worth a punt too of course.

My stretchy scraps aren't going to make nice pants to wear - all nylon lycra at the moment!  >< Some of it is Meryl, which is designed for activewear and feels very nice to the touch but it's a bit thick - shades of gym knickers!  :o I think I'd rather go with a finer cotton lycra.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
Ah Jackie...Do school uniforms include Gym Knickers these days?  I well remember the aertex shirt the incredibly short wraparound Hockey skirt and the amazingly solid gym knickers underneath... the school had a playing field next to the main road and a boys school next door.. there was much tugging of the skirts to cover the knickers when the boys walked past
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 11:15:17 AM »
We also had a boys school next door, and shared their playing fields.  I quite liked our hockey skirts, but couldn't play hockey for any money!  I even liked navy blue knickers, as so many knicks at the time were nylon or baggy cotton.

Anyone remember holding their socks up with knicker elastic to stop them falling down?

Sorry, I'll get me coat........

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
Anyone remember holding their socks up with knicker elastic to stop them falling down?

Oh yes! I'd forgotten that but it worked. And the demure little handerchief pocket in the better quality sports knickers too.  <3
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

Mama likes to make

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 14:17:41 PM »
We had them alright the hockey skirt and under knicks. The knicks were worn on their own for athletics which goes some way I think to explain why we never seemed to like athletics!!