The Sewing Place

Surefit vs Lutterloh

Surest1tch

Surefit vs Lutterloh
« on: May 20, 2017, 21:12:33 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, apologies if it isn't.
Could I have some opinions of the two systems please.  I've just purchased the Surefit pants kit and sat down with it tonight to have a practice drawing the pattern.  Either I'm a very strange shape and I do mean strange! I don't look strangely shaped in the mirror and if I could get pants long enough to fit in the shops I can find some that fit everywhere except the leg length.  The dots for the centre back waist seems to be miles out to the side waist, the hip to waist dots make it look like I've got an hour glass waist and that's just for starters.  I'm post menopause so have virtually no waist now and am honest with myself and quite critical of my figures.
Both kits are expensive but I will buy the Lutterlol kit if you vote it better than the Surefit kit.
Thanks in advance.

Tiggy

Re: Surefit vs Lutterloh
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 16:31:02 PM »
I have just made my first 'body blueprint' for a pair of trousers.  You could knock me down with a feather - I now seem to have a pair of basic trousers (side zip, no pockets) which fit.  Not too long at the front, and no bagging there either.  The back is long enough and there is room across the seat.   I'm stunned.  The first muslin needed tweaking, but the second one is much better than I expected.

As far as I can see, both systems work on individual measurements, but you still have to make a muslin, and tweak the fit.  Give it a go with the surefit system and see how it goes.

There are lots of You tube videos by Glenda Sparling, and an active Facebook group which Glenda participates in.  I followed her suggestions for improving the fit, and they worked!  :toast:
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Ravingdoll

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 16:38:39 PM »
I don't know if you have been to the introduction section but if not there is one from BajaSusana (I think that's right spelling?) who is a big fan of Lutterloh and her not so positive thoughts on Surefit.  To give another perspective.   But me, I know nothing about either I'm afraid! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 16:49:50 PM »
BajaSusana's critique of Surefit begins on page 2 of this thread.

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 16:52:01 PM »
I know nothing about these either - Ijust go the old-fashioned route with paper and ruler! ( I'm a cheapskate too!)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 16:56:06 PM »
I am mathematically challenged and drafting my own pattern even with a 'system' is more than I can face.  :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:12:28 AM »
Thank you everyone.
I just thought I'd let you know I've ordered the Lutterloh.  It looks similar to the system I used at work for the last few years except that was plotted on a computer program, this is done manually.  I so wish I'd brought my pattern block with me when I left now but like I say I swore I would never sew another stitch.
I was going to PM bajasusana but thought she may not like it so did some thinking a bit of research and figured I may as well get it while I've got the money.  If I can't get rid of the wrinkles in the back legs of my trousers between the two systems I may as well give up and look scruffy.
I've no bum, got what used to be termed a hollow back and a rather round belly and no sewing buddy so it's a bit of a nightmare fitting pants to myself by myself

Addict

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 13:34:42 PM »
I used to use lutterloh all the time but have given up on it as i have lots of problems in the last year,Have gone back to surefit and it is all going well and fits my clients with just a few tweaks

BajaSusana

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 14:06:22 PM »
Here I am! I am happy to receive PMS.
Guess what? I use neither system for pants!
I am short with a long rise. I have put on weight and could not get a good fit. I worked with Glenda in email, and achieved a passable fit. I attended her five day retreat and was told that my weight was the problem not her pattern. At that time I was a US size 12. Big for my height and frame, but hardly out side of the realm of normal.
 I have weight to lose for sure, and I am going down.
 You can see what I look like in my photos.
I am also an extreme hourglass.
 I purchased the Eureka! Pants that Fit pattern from Sarah Veblen. I spent the better part of a summer and a lot of money perfecting a basic pants pattern.
I made pants that fit perfectly every time.
 I also stupidly did not preserve nor respect my pattern. I also gained weight. Suddenly I could not achieve a good fit.
 I confessed to Sarah.
 I have purchased a new pattern, and paid $75.00 for email consultation.
The last time we did FaceTime and email.
 This time we both know what the issues are. It should go faster.
I make shorts, Capris and pants. Some have a faced waist, others have a waistband, I made one pair of shorts with a knit  waistband. And now she has a trouser package to adapt the basic pant.
Once I Have perfected the fit and traced the pattern and then also traced it onto oak tag I will go to town making pants. I usually buy enough linen in my colors to make a pair of pants, Capris and shorts and then mix and match tops.
I believe that  once I have lost more weight, the Lutterloh pants will fit. We will draft a pair and ask Sarah for advice.
Sarah has an online pants fitting course on PR. Some private consultations come along with it. I have a friend that is a US size 2 that had the identical issue that I had. She did the online course, and paid for the four private email consultations and voila! She has perfectly fitting pants.
 Here is my blog post detailing all that I did to get my pants to fit.
http://www.susansewsdaily.com/eureka-pants-that-fit-i-made-them/
Please send me an email or a PM.
I WAS SO DISHEARTENED AND ASHAMED THAT I could not get pants to fit. And RTW was expensive and fit even worse. I also do not wear polyester or stretch. I needed to have pants that fit.

Drafting the SURE FIT pattern is no more difficult than drafting the Lutterloh. I achieved a perfect fit with each  of the kits, except that the sleeve on the blouse was too tight.
It is all about personal preference,
I do agree that Glenda has a wealth of videos that are very helpful even if you are not using her system.

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 15:03:15 PM »
Here I am! I am happy to receive PMS..

Each to their own  :o

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 15:23:10 PM »
Hehehe.  I was very glad to ditch it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BajaSusana

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 16:16:44 PM »
Each to their own  :o
Francesca you are right. Each system has benefits and shortcomings.
It just depends on what works for you

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 16:17:49 PM »
Francesca you are right. Each system has benefits and shortcomings.
It just depends on what works for you

Sorry Baja, I think my joke got lost in translation. You referenced not minding PMS, which means pre-menstrual stress. Aka the grumps you get before that time of the month  ;)

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »
Here I am! I am happy to receive PMS.
Guess what? I use neither system for pants!
I am short with a long rise. I have put on weight and could not get a good fit. I worked with Glenda in email, and achieved a passable fit. I attended her five day retreat and was told that my weight was the problem not her pattern. At that time I was a US size 12. Big for my height and frame, but hardly out side of the realm of normal.
 I have weight to lose for sure, and I am going down.
 You can see what I look like in my photos.
I am also an extreme hourglass.
 I purchased the Eureka! Pants that Fit pattern from Sarah Veblen. I spent the better part of a summer and a lot of money perfecting a basic pants pattern.
I made pants that fit perfectly every time.
 I also stupidly did not preserve nor respect my pattern. I also gained weight. Suddenly I could not achieve a good fit.
 I confessed to Sarah.
 I have purchased a new pattern, and paid $75.00 for email consultation.
The last time we did FaceTime and email.
 This time we both know what the issues are. It should go faster.
I make shorts, Capris and pants. Some have a faced waist, others have a waistband, I made one pair of shorts with a knit  waistband. And now she has a trouser package to adapt the basic pant.
Once I Have perfected the fit and traced the pattern and then also traced it onto oak tag I will go to town making pants. I usually buy enough linen in my colors to make a pair of pants, Capris and shorts and then mix and match tops.
I believe that  once I have lost more weight, the Lutterloh pants will fit. We will draft a pair and ask Sarah for advice.
Sarah has an online pants fitting course on PR. Some private consultations come along with it. I have a friend that is a US size 2 that had the identical issue that I had. She did the online course, and paid for the four private email consultations and voila! She has perfectly fitting pants.
 Here is my blog post detailing all that I did to get my pants to fit.
http://www.susansewsdaily.com/eureka-pants-that-fit-i-made-them/
Please send me an email or a PM.
I WAS SO DISHEARTENED AND ASHAMED THAT I could not get pants to fit. And RTW was expensive and fit even worse. I also do not wear polyester or stretch. I needed to have pants that fit.

Drafting the SURE FIT pattern is no more difficult than drafting the Lutterloh. I achieved a perfect fit with each  of the kits, except that the sleeve on the blouse was too tight.
It is all about personal preference,
I do agree that Glenda has a wealth of videos that are very helpful even if you are not using her system.

Thank you for such a lovely reply.  I've had a look at your blog which is fab', I've also had a look Sarah's site which I've bookmarked for future reference.  I am determined I'm going to sort the baggy back legs out, I'm determined now.  I've got past the stage where it's frustrating me, it's now become a challenge

AnneFrances

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 16:17:35 PM »
On the issue of baggy back legs in trousers, can I recommend trying Ann Rowley's flat seat adjustment (google it). It made a very great deal of difference to me. I didn't think I could possibly have a flat seat, my hip measurement being so large in proportion to my other measurements. But I was desperate so I tried it and I do - it's a question of the distribution of the dimensions. It seems I am wide but flat. I definitely think it is worth trying. I do in fact also have to lower the back crotch curve and extend the back crotch point.  But it was the flat seat adjustment that made most difference.
Hope that might help
Anne