The Sewing Place

Should we have a Politics thread because ...

UttaRetch

Should we have a Politics thread because ...
« on: May 21, 2017, 16:40:54 PM »
a lot of comments drift into the political arena - government (local and national), teaching, NHS, housing - and maybe it would be no bad thing if we could sound off about these in a politics 'lite' thread. 
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

Re: Should we have a Politics thread because ...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 16:44:41 PM »
I did at one point consider having a "The Pub" subforum. E.g more raucous conversation than "the Cafe".

I am interested in other's opinions before we implement this. We would need to have a clear set of guidelines before we proceeded. But I like the idea of saying "take it to the pub!" (and I know I'd end up there myself).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 16:55:10 PM by Francesca »

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 16:49:13 PM »
If it keeps politics to a section I can avoid I'd be for it!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 16:53:33 PM »
... I like the idea of saying "take it to the pub!"

Or the car park.  0_0

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 16:58:03 PM »
Personally I would prefer not.  Occasionally I venture onto Gransnet and that can get seriously heated and downright nasty and I have to retreat back to the comfort of TSP.

The problem is that even if you start off trying to  keep the contentious subjects to one thread the unpleasantness spills over to others

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 17:14:16 PM »
Remember the trouble on TSF following the Brexit vote? Tread carefully!

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 17:21:25 PM »
I should also say that I think we're doing OK, for the most part. Having a politics section might just encourage people to post there. I wouldn't say it's a major issue at the moment.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 17:35:48 PM »
Forget I mentioned it, Fran.  People are already leaping to the worst scenarios, but if you are not interested in politics, then there would be no reason to visit the thread.

violetpastille

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 17:43:02 PM »
Chiming in before I've properly introduced myself, I'm sorry. I'm Kelly an American and I registered here recently because other sewing forums couldn't talk about politics. One forum shuts threads down that even touch on the issue.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 17:58:40 PM »
I don't mind either way but I think things are working very well at the mo so would suggest leaving things as they are. It's interesting that some of the most contentious issues here on TSP have not been political as such. Even when people want to have a rant the rant thread seems to work really well for letting off steam. I'm very glad that we don't have to tiptoe around political issues here.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Pinkstar

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 18:06:37 PM »
If it keeps politics off other threads then fine.

It won't be a thread that I would be visiting as I much prefer not to talk politics either online or in real life with friends as it can become heated or people get upset very quickly. All my political discussions  tend to be with family and we can have a good debate, without anyone getting upset.

I always remember my Dad saying never discuss religion or politics with work colleagues or friends its the quickest way to lose respect and friendships. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 18:13:23 PM »
... I'm Kelly an American and I registered here recently because other sewing forums couldn't talk about politics. One forum shuts threads down that even touch on the issue.

0_0   0_0  I know the one you mean.  In fact, I was chastised only yesterday because I referred to 'first world problems' in jest.  I was told I am being judgemental.  :o  I've had enough and won't be commenting on fora over there anymore.

Samantha

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 18:21:00 PM »
I think it's a good idea. I also think that although there should be guidelines if people venture on to the politics thread then they can't complain/moan/report about what's posted unless against the guidelines. What goes on tour stays on tour.

jen

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 18:46:21 PM »
It's worth trying. I don't quite see why people who are quite reasonable when posting about anything else would get nasty if they talked politics, but maybe I'm being naive.

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 18:51:19 PM »
Wouldn't worry me to have a Pub thread where  political ranting would be accepted, but it would have to be with the proviso that everyone agrees to differ if necessary without any vitriol, and that's not always easy, as we've seen elsewhere =- feathers can get easily ruffled. :S
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !