The Sewing Place

Binding for armholes

Snowgoose

Binding for armholes
« on: May 26, 2017, 13:40:04 PM »
Can someone please advise the best binding for armholes, on a man-made fabric which frays a lot, please?  It is a light/medium weight Jacquard.  Any links to eBay would be great, please!   Thank you!   :flower:

b15erk

Re: Binding for armholes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 14:11:00 PM »
Snowgoose, have you thought of making your own binding?  I use lots of different fabrics for binding, and it's very quick and easy to make your own.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 16:20:14 PM »
I make my own too.. for armholes I cut a 1inch bias strip, I overlock one edge, stitch the other edge to the arm hole, turn under and the topstitch about 1/4inch in .In effect it's just a super skinny facing. It doesn't add bulk and matches perfectly.

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 16:42:08 PM »
Another vote for making your own.  It's technique that's well worth learning as it can be a complete pain trying to get suitable binding or colour matches.  Much cheaper, too!

arrow

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 16:53:18 PM »
I have investigated a few items and it looks like woven cotton, about shirt weight or quilting weight is common. I'm thinking of men's jackets and coats that come from taylors and nicely made clothing. The lining is in the direction of a shiny rayon or something like that, but it doesn't wrinkle as bad in wash as some rayon / viscose does.

Is this always cut diagonally across the weave for binding? I have a few very clever attachments that does this all in one  go.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 20:22:26 PM »
I make my own too.. for armholes I cut a 1inch bias strip, I overlock one edge, stitch the other edge to the arm hole, turn under and the topstitch about 1/4inch in .In effect it's just a super skinny facing. It doesn't add bulk and matches perfectly.

What a great idea, I hadn't thought of overlocking one edge on binding!  Great tip Efemera, thank you  :flower:
Willing but not always able :)

Snowgoose

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 23:17:57 PM »
Thank you all very much :flower:  make my own binding it is  :) a new technique for me to learn - I'll play with some scrap fabric for practise first!

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
A slotted ruler is incredibly quick and accurate for cutting bias strips.
(they're useful for cutting other strips and other shapes of all sorts of sizes - quick and accurate)

some examples of slotted rulers that come in different sizes
June Taylor Shape Cut slotted rulers https://www.kareliahouse.co.uk/item/2736/JuneTailor/June-Tailor-Shape-Cut-Plus-Slotted-Ruler.html
Creative Grids Stripology slotted rulers https://www.creativegrids.com/acatalog/----span-style--color---ff0000----------strong----NEW------strong---------span----Creative-Grids-Stripology-Ruler-By-Gudrun-Erla-CGRGE1.html
(Smaller and Portable) Duroedge Fringemaker slotted rulers https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fringe-Maker-Slitted-Non-Slip-Duroedge/dp/B0062IST7K

The one I got was a June Taylor Shapecut Plus however the one I'd get now is the Creative Grids Stripology slotted ruler but it wasn't available at the time.   The CG Stripology ruler has better markings and includes non-slip grips.   My JT ruler is okay and does the job so there's no need to replace it but I'd rather have the CG Stripology.

Also I have a smaller, portable slotted ruler and for that I use the Duroedge Fringemaker.  Mostly it's used to cut leftover scraps of suitable fabric into bias strips (or on grain strips for ribbons, ties, etc) when I've cut out a project. It's handy to have different widths and colours of bias cut strips ready to use whether that's for trying out samples, playing & experimenting, hongkong binding, making bias binding, making piping and so on.