The Sewing Place

Off to Fabworks

Ellabella

Off to Fabworks
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »
Next Thursday DD and I are on a long awaited trip to Dewsbury to visit Fabworks :) :P :* :loveit:

Is there anywhere else nearby that we should try to fit in if we have time.

Our main objectives are knits and some nice drapy wovens.

Tamnymore

Re: Off to Fabworks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
Ooh lucky you. That's me outside with my nose pressed up against the Fabworks window. I believe that Lucky Fashions (or is it Lucky Fabrics?) is only open on Weds and Sats but it is worth checking as that may have changed. There's also the Pound a Yard shop in the centre of Dewsbury. Despite its name I don't find it very exciting but you may find a bargain in there. There's a habby/wool shop nearby too. Cloggs is nice for coffee and a bun.

I take it you aren't stopping off in Leeds but if you are there's B&M in the market and also just outside the market in a shop and Samuel Taylor's also in the centre.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Swisslass

Re: Off to Fabworks
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 13:10:45 PM »
I was in there at Easter and it just gets better and better. I also second Lucky Fabrics/Fashions, a lovely lady! I went in there first and bought loads  ;) - well worth a visit but she is cash only, she has some really nice stuff, I found some lovely linen there for £5/m. I'm pretty sure she is still Weds and Sat, she tried to encourage me to start a branch over here!
I had lunch at a cafe on Foundry Street (I think the cafe was called Lunch) run by two Polish ladies and it was excellent.
I thought the Pound A Yard shop was ok, there was a good selection of upholstery fabric when I was last in, but the rest of the stuff left me a bit underwhelmed.
Another place I like is Bombay Stores in Bradford, their trimmings are are just lush, I'm not a fan of their fabric though.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired