The Sewing Place

One way to fix burnt lining

dolcevita

One way to fix burnt lining
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
In my undying habit of being too picky with my sewing, I burned a hole in the lining of a new dress I'm making.

For all of my pickiness, I couldn't be bothered to replace the entire panel as it would have meant dismantling half the dress, so I used a not-quite-invisible mend approach.  I cut a small piece of lining to slip under the burn and then went around with a running stitch to hold in place.  I cut away the nasty crispy bits of lining and then used a fell stitch around the edge for a bit more security and because lining frays like the devil.

It's far from perfection but will never be noticed from the outside and is perfectly functional.

Acorn

Re: One way to fix burnt lining
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »
Lovely job!

There is something very pleasing about a well-done repair.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »
What an excellent save DV!  I need to file that away in the old brain cell....  Not that things like that happen to me you understand....  :| >< :S ;)

Thank You for sharing!  <3

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 16:23:00 PM »
Good save!  But I can hear you cursing when you spotted it! 0_0
I had to do something similar on a silk kimono band last year.  I just know I used the same words as you.  :S

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 16:48:48 PM »
I bet you heard me all the way over in your place, Ohsewsimple!

The worst thing is, I didn't really need to put the iron anywhere near it.  In hyper-picky mode, I decided that I could have sewn the armhole binding a little better.  You know, it's literally 1mm off where you'd like it to be in that perfect sewing world that exists in your head.  So I decided to give it a good press and then re-sew the binding.  Only, it didn't work out that way.  At all.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 17:19:06 PM »
Yep, should have left it alone.  But yes, that perfectionist thingy screams at us and we answer....and b****r it up.  But only you know it's there.....and all of us now.  :) :P

Maximum

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 22:24:15 PM »
Thanks for the share and what a neat rescue. Why is it that if it's going to go wrong it is right at the end?
I have a pair of trousers, which I have worn several times, but I haven't plucked up the courage to do the buttonhole on the waistband so it is done up each time with a small quilting clip! I can almost hear my Mum saying, "but what if you get knocked down and end up in hospital, what will they think!" I think I need to just jump in and get on with it or I can imagine every pair will be the same.

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 22:55:13 PM »
Maximum - it's often the thought of doing something that's the worst part of it.  If there's only the one to do, why not have a go at doing it by hand?  It can be quicker just using a needle & thread versus getting your machine out, filling a bobbin, threading the machine, doing a practice one......

Courage!  0_0

Maximum

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 00:01:29 AM »
Maximum - it's often the thought of doing something that's the worst part of it.  .......
Courage!  0_0
I know but I'm a whimp ;)