The Sewing Place

Watching the world go by...

Emma2109

Watching the world go by...
« on: June 13, 2017, 23:33:11 PM »
This is an interesting forum. I have been fascinated by watching posts and what people will respond to (or not!!)

I love reading everything posted, however, I have noticed that those that are obviously more experienced at sewing have a higher response/feedback rate than those whose are fairly new to sewing....I wonder why this is?....any thoughts.....
Be the change you want to see in the world x

Vegegrow

Re: Watching the world go by...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:42 AM »
This is an interesting forum. I have been fascinated by watching posts and what people will respond to (or not!!)

I love reading everything posted, however, I have noticed that those that are obviously more experienced at sewing have a higher response/feedback rate than those whose are fairly new to sewing....I wonder why this is?....any thoughts.....

I like to think we try and help and encourage people who are new to sewing, I think the 'like' button has changed my replies as I will 'like' when I haven't got time to reply. other times when what I would have said has already been posted, I will like that post. Sometimes I will post a subject and there is little or no interest.. it all depends who's around to read it and we all live busy lives
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »
Very much like Vegerow.  I'm a busy person, and tend to respond to threads which interest me.  I don't really care about the level of expertise, if something interests me, I'll respond if I have time.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have a clue whether someone was experienced or not.  If I can help, I will, but sometimes I just don't have answers, or time to reply.

The less experienced today, become proficient in the future, they just need a helping hand, and if I can give it I will.

On the other side of the argument, the less experienced often ask the 'best' questions, eg something us older ones take for granted.

I don't sew as a profession, but I have been sewing for a long time.  I'm at the stage where I now sew for grandchildren, which is far easier than trying to sew around little ones, and as a result, I think my sewing has improved.

This forum is also a great source of information, coming from all levels of experience and age groups.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »
I'm another "liker". I have small kids so often get called away in the middle of replying to things and find it's a great way to acknowledge things I've seen but might not have anything to add that hasn't already been said.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
I don't have a busy life, unlike these mere youngsters and I do chat on here far too much. :| I can't make clothes so obviously don't offer advice. I enjoy reading other people's experiences, but mainly concentrate on contributing to TDS, the Cafe, and HF. However I often "like " posts and wish I had other's expertise  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:39:51 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
I tend to look in a morning and in the  evening and maybe lunchtime if I am in.  Usually I just skitter through, have a titter and don't even log in sometimes.  I like the Cafe, bit like a gossip shop really.  People usually respond to posts in the Cafe because they can relate to what has been posted and of course as has already been said, you need no experience for a gossip or exchange views and are not even really bothered about the sewing experience of the  writer.

Then of course there is the other side, extremely helpful for advice, how to and an opinion on 'what ifs', and the links to websites that will assist. 

I love the pictures, like looking into other people's lives without being intrusive, what's on the wall, what sewing machine etc. 

Now what I really want is a pattern for a simple cape for my shoulders for my  wedding 'frock', so cometh the time, this is the first place I will go.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
I have a quiet period now, so can spend far more time on here than is really good for me (says she, hiding the credit card receipts for her latest purchases,!)

I enjoy the cafe - but then I enjoy talking about all and everything!

It never really occurs to me whether someone is experienced or not, and does it matter at all?  Sometimes we all have moments where we just can't see the wood for the trees and a fresh pair of eyes on a problem can help a lot.

I'll always help if I think I can, but if someone's already given the same reply as me then I'll like the post instead.

It's partly the kind and generous help I received on my sewing journey that has helped me grow in confidence over the years, so I just want to be able to pass it forward.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Zigzag

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
I love this TSP because people are amazingly talented, creative and above all lovely helpful in all ways.  Everything to like and lots to smile about reading daily activities and personal feelings.  Lots to learn from other folks questions and problems too.  Ever so grateful to have been accepted as a member.   <3
Love sewing with Sapphire, Janome, Silver and Babylock.
Best friend is the serger to give that superior edge to seams  😍

crooknees

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 14:08:57 PM »
Another one here who tends to ' like' rather than answer. mostly because of the time element. My brain doesn't respond to my needs at anything like the normal speed. I need to compose and write down my comment, before starting to type. If I agree with some-one elses comment, I just use the 'like' button :D

crooknees - buried under a mountain of fabric and yarn.

Lyn-J

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 15:13:56 PM »
I'm a "liker". there are only so many ways you can say I really like that without sounding repetitious. If its something I have knowledge of, I try to help. I try not to post if I'm flying through, it would probably be unintelligible. I still feel a bit of a newbie as I wasn't on the previous forum. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel unwelcome I just don't have the shared history.
I use another forum that has the same engine so I'm confident about finding my way around, but it took me a little time to get used to forum etiquette.
Lynne

twopence

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 21:28:35 PM »
I often spend more time on here than is good for me as I use my IPad in bed in the morning to read the messages and if there are lots of good ones then I forget the time.  If I know that I have to go out then I leave the IPad downstairs.

I will often like a message but not add to it if my comment is similar to those already posted.

I was on the other forum but rarely posted.  I feel far more that I am part of TSP and am really enjoying being here.

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 21:35:30 PM »
I will often like a message but not add to it if my comment is similar to those already posted.

I was on the other forum but rarely posted.  I feel far more that I am part of TSP and am really enjoying being here.

Me too.  It took 2 years for me to post 50 times on the other forum but I spent 3 whole days of March on here!  :D

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »
I have posted far too much drivel on here  0_0 I'm over 1120 posts now  :|  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
I don't really notice if people answer; I just witter on anyway. I have very little useful to offer at the minute as I am a complete beginner but that's fine. Maybe I'll learn something and someday I can pass it on to another clueless learner. As it is I'm learning everyday.