The Sewing Place

The Cam Thread

Madame Cholet

The Cam Thread
« on: June 22, 2017, 14:35:02 PM »
Every so often I see a set of cams on ebay with a comment from the seller along the lines of 'I don't know what machine they came from, or what machine they will fit'.

So I thought it might be useful (and fun) to launch a thread here devoted to vintage stitch pattern cams, and their respective sewing machines or sewing machine attachments.

I have 2 sewing machines that take cams, an Alfa 606 and a Riccar 555, plus buttonholers that use cams.

I will take a few photos and upload them later today  :D

Madame Cholet

Riccar 555 Super Cam
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 19:27:42 PM »
Here's the Riccar 555 Super Cam and the box of cams that came with it.
According to the manual there should be 54 pattern cams and 2 straight stitch cams (-one as a spare), making 56 cams in total. I got it second hand and it has 54 pattern cams and 1 straight stitch cam, which is in the machine.
I'll post better pics of the cams later.

Madame Cholet

Alfa 606
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 20:30:13 PM »
The Alfa 606 plus cams:

LeilaMay

Re: The Cam Thread
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 22:15:59 PM »
This is a great idea thank you :)
might I suggest that a picture of the place where the cams go - if they drop down inside a little hatch lid or anything - might be helpful in working out what sorts of cams might fit a machine that's lost it's cams?

I recently tried to find cams to fit this machine - but was defeated as I had no idea what size and type it might be similar to.

Many thanks for this, best wishes
LeilaMay

Marniesews

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 22:23:30 PM »
Excellent idea to do this!   :vintage:
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Madame Cholet

Riccar 555 Super Cam
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 16:09:26 PM »
Here is a pic of one of the Riccar cams (the one for straight stitching and zigzag) and also a pic of the cam port:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 16:13:56 PM by Madame Cholet »

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 16:37:02 PM »
I only remember having one machine with removable cams, and I can't remember which it is! It might be the Newhome/Janome, I'll check.....

The 611g has fixed metal cams, and although I've tried, I can't get them out.

Great idea though, there are all shapes and sizes out there.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Madame Cholet

Alfa 606
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 16:52:39 PM »
Below are pics of the Alfa 606 cam port and one of the Alfa 606 cams:

I have recently spotted a Toyota 602 for sale on ebay, and judging from the photo in the listing it looks as though a Toyota 602 takes exactly the same cams as my Alfa 606. Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-602-ZIG-ZAG-ELECTRIC-SEWING-MACHINE-PEDAL-PATTERN-fashion-CAMS-/172567552593?hash=item282dd3e251:g:OpIAAOSwol5YwItd
There is a set of the same cams for sale on Helen Howes' site at the moment, just in case anyone out there is interested.