The Sewing Place

Resin buttons?

Surest1tch

Resin buttons?
« on: July 06, 2017, 17:46:10 PM »
Has anyone used the resin buttons I keep seeing lately?  I tend to use glass or wooden buttons, plastic if I'm desperate but I've never seen these resin ones in the shops. I've got a top I need buttons for and can't find the size I want in the right colours other than resin.
Has anyone got any feedback on them please?

arrow

Re: Resin buttons?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 19:48:37 PM »
What does resin type mean? I know a lot of buttons still are made from trusted material like melamin and various phenol type plastics a bit like bakelite. They used to call artifically made phenol based plastics resin, but I don't know all the technical and chemical details on this.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 20:06:54 PM »
I don't know what it means, I was hoping someone here would, more especially that someone has used them.

arrow

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 22:17:40 PM »
If it's what I think it is, it's probably much the best ones. If you can find the name melamin some where it's at least durable, hard and heat resistant. Resin is too wide a term to narrow it dow to anything specific when it comes to plastics. The good ones stand up to much thougher treatment than mother of pearl, wood and porcelain.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 14:52:48 PM »
I have been thinking about this too and haven't found much info. The problem is that many buttons look nice and are  just the right quality for everyday wear and cleaing, others need more care. Some buttons will not stand up to heat and can brake off. I once put on a shirt straight from the thumble dryer, the buttons popped off the stitching like they were made of sugar paste (it was a loose fitting shirt). Sellers should give more info on what type of plastic is used and if they can take 60 degrees in the thumble dryer or not. There used to be these flat metal buttons coverd with fabric used on bed linen. They could be mangle and still be one piece. We just need to be able to choose the right material for the purpose.