The Sewing Place

Lekala pattern for trousers

Bodgeitandscarper

Lekala pattern for trousers
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »
Following on from the trouser fitting thread, I spent yesterday afternoon trawling t'interweb looking at how to do various alterations to the fit of a trouser pattern - fascinating stuff  :)
I ended up buying a Lekala pattern drafted to my measurements - the 3D model thingy looked so like me, complete with all the bulges in all the right places!  I'm now trying to piece it all together (thank goodness for an A3 printer!) and cut out the bits.  Having looked at alterations, the shape of this pattern looks quite promising, I'll do some measuring of it before I cut any fabric.
So, this is your cue to tell me how bad these patterns are - or hopefully how good they are!

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Lekala pattern for trousers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
Hmm, thank goodness I checked this against another pattern (that doesn't fit very well) and measured the crotch seam - it's at least two inches short, if not three - they would have been very low slung hipsters!

lakaribane

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 16:08:13 PM »
I don't know what your bodyshape is but I was sooo disappointed in Bootstrap Fashion's Vado jeans AND their pant sloper. I think it's the same draft, really. Very close to the body.

They use Leko softwear and the Butt curvature option looked promising. Alas, my low, wide butt is too much. I mean, it looks good but the pants are crazy tight and the difference btw the option (No Stretch, 2% etc.) is really that small!

It's like they made room for my butt but taking out room for my belly, basically!

If you are Bootilicious, caveat emptor!

That said, will be curious to read or see what your results are.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 17:32:35 PM »
The only Bootstrap trousers I've made (and Bootstrap are fundamentally the same as Lekala) are these, and they are very loose indeed.  After looking at the pattern pieces I added a couple of inches to the crotch, and I really shouldn't have done!  Two inches less would have been just right.

I find it very frustrating that Lekala and Bootstrap don't tell you how much ease there is in their patterns, and quite often there is no picture of the clothes being worn, so no point of reference.

I've also found that you must always read the instructions to know how many of each piece you need to cut out, because the pattern pieces themselves are likely to be wrong.  Not so much of an issue with trousers, where you pretty much know what you need, but I have just cut out a dress where each piece said to only cut one, but the instructions told a very different story.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 17:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments peeps  :)
I have done measuring and lengthened the body by 4" - which may be too much but I did measure my crotch seam, although it seems way higher up the body than the pattern I have been using.  Ah well, I can always cut some off, so that's not a problem.  Oddly, comparing to the pattern I have (that doesn't really work!), the front appears about the same width, but the back is lots wider, which is probably good, because my current pattern is a little tight.  I have also laid the old pattern on top and added extra width in the thighs where the new pattern was a bit narrow.
All cut out now, tomorrow is sewing time as it's puppy class tonight.
Oh, and I ordered the trouser pack from Sure Fit Designs as well - I live in shorts or trousers and I really need to get a pattern to fit that I can use again and again.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 17:48:32 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

lakaribane

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 18:49:05 PM »
Oh, and I ordered the trouser pack from Sure Fit Designs as well - I live in shorts or trousers and I really need to get a pattern to fit that I can use again and again.

Keep us posted on all fronts, please, Bodge! I'm considering drafting from scratch. Unfortunately, this summer is not going how I had hoped!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
What is it they say?  A picture speaks a thousand words...

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
Bodge, it looks like you have some work to do!  :S

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »
My plan is to stop faffing with them, unpick them, and wait for my Sure Fit Designs pack to arrive tomorrow and re-cut them from that.  I really hope it works!!

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 12:31:19 PM »
Bodge I hate doing trousers because of all the faffing around with fit. 

I've got a Burda trouser pattern to make up, and I want to do it straight from the packet.  How realistic is it to want to do this?  If I go to a store and buy a pair of trousers, nobody offers to alter the fit, and I wear them as they are ....

It's as if we set ourselves up to fail :(

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
Oh heck  :S, at least they are too big not the other way round so you've got scope to do something with them

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 17:59:55 PM »
What an old friend of mine used to call 'dinner clothes' because there,s room to expand.  They look more like banquet trousers. :o. Hope you get them sorted.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 20:19:21 PM »
Gave me a chuckle.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 21:51:35 PM »
I thought it might give some of you a laugh - with apologies for including some fat in the pic  :o
And there was me a bit worried they'd be too small  :S

They are back in four pieces now...

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »
I'm waiting to hear how the fit compares to the Surefit Bodge, that will be interesting! 

Why are trousers so difficult to fit? 

Jessie