The Sewing Place

Ginger Jeans

Fabric Lover

Ginger Jeans
« on: August 20, 2017, 22:26:21 PM »
I have been tempted by the Closet Case Ginger Jeans pattern for a while, but still dithering about whether to go for that or stick with a Vogue pattern that I already have and adapt it. Are there any recommendations for the former? Is it worth the extra? I have always stuck to the Big 4 previously, just made a pair of Burda pants, photos yet to be taken, and the amount of fiddling to get the fit right has put me off going there again.

I don't think I could go through the hassle of downloading and sticking pieces of paper together so would be looking to get the paper pattern itself.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

UttaRetch

Re: Ginger Jeans
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »
The ginger jeans is a very popular pattern and there are no less than 80 reviews on PatternReview, most of them positive.  I am not a lover of pdf patterns and the fitting process may be just as tedious as the Burda.  You might be better off sticking with the Vogue.

Pinkstar

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 21:25:30 PM »
I've got the paper pattern for the ginger jeans and I love them, I didn't have any problems with the fit, but I tacked them together first to check.  I did refer to the online sewalong more than the instructions but that's me I'm more of a visual learner than by written instructions.

Btw I detest Burda patterns all that adding on seam allowance why can't the just print them with the seam allowance already there.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »
Burda envelope patterns include seam allowance, it's the ones from the magazine where you have to add it.  On a general note, I can't get along with Burda patterns at all since having a spectacular failure with one that became known as 'Satan's own'.  :(

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
I've heard very good reviews, but also heard they can come up a little large (which I don't really mind, much better than a little too small!)

I've also seen them looking great on a number of women with quite curvy shapes, whereas Vogue always seems to be the most waifish fit (hence why I now entirely avoid), so maybe worth considering if you go in and out or are more slender and choose the Ginger or Vogue pattern based on that.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
Thanks all for your comments you've helped me decide to go for it, I'll order it today.

Burda envelope patterns include seam allowance, it's the ones from the magazine where you have to add it.
Actually UR, the pants pattern was an envelope pattern, but you still had to add the seam and hem allowances, what a pain!

I did refer to the online sewalong more than the instructions but that's me I'm more of a visual learner than by written instructions.
Me too, PS. Was the online Sewalong you used the course through the Closet Case website that cost £59 or some such amount? I looked at that but a bit much for me.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 17:17:12 PM »
Actually UR, the pants pattern was an envelope pattern, but you still had to add the seam and hem allowances, what a pain!

How strange.  My recent Burdas included seam allowance, but I never got any further than reading the construction pages before deciding that Burda was still not for me.  0_0

Pinkstar

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 11:10:23 AM »
Me too, PS. Was the online Sewalong you used the course through the Closet Case website that cost £59 or some such amount? I looked at that but a bit much for me.

No there's a freebie one on the blog that I used https://closetcasepatterns.com/sourcing-denim-for-the-ginger-jeans/ There is about 14 parts to it and it is very good.