The Sewing Place

Favourite Accessories....... what would you recommend?

Lowena

Favourite Accessories....... what would you recommend?
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
I'd like to give a big shout out for the Creative Grids 45 /90 degree ruler ( I think that's what it's called ) It is brilliant for cutting triangles from strips.
The other thing I wouldn't be without is my Sissix BigShot Plus, accurate cutting ( not my strong point ) every time.
No.3 for me... my June Tailor Shape Cut ruler with slits.....can you see a theme developing here?  :D
I'm still rubbish at accurate cutting and squaring up and these 3 gadgets help to keep me on the straight and narrow  :)
What are your top 3  sewing aids?
 :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

Re: Favourite Accessories....... what would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 14:37:10 PM »
Rulers, sharp scissors, buttonholer.

Not necessarily in that order  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

maliw

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 15:12:12 PM »
Rulers, scissors and my unpicker/tweezers - can't separate the two, they go together.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 15:16:19 PM »
How could I forget the one I use most!   Thanks for the reminder Mal!

The Unpicker, without which, most of my projects would remain unfinished!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 15:27:06 PM »
My small  .... 28 .... (I don't know what)  RC!
I bought it when I was cutting out the kids dungarees and used it ever since!

my 6 1/2" square ruler with sandpaper dots, invaluable for squaring up components and blocks

and my threaded needle for lassoing and burying my threads!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Holly Berry

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 22:38:41 PM »
My number 1 has to be my Horn cutting out table, followed by my tailors board and then my 24x6" quilting ruler, which I use for patchwork and for getting the straight grain of dressmaking patterns on fabric.
Procrastination get behind me

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 23:30:22 PM »
I echo all the other things like sharp scissors, unpicker, iron etc - they're like extensions to my fingers and hands, but  my favourite things are small pieces of cardboard.

When turning up hems or cutting off amounts over a wide piece, instead of using a tape measure or marking with chalk, I cut a notch in the side of the card (shaped like half a V) to correspond with the amount I want to turn up or cut, then line up the end of the card with the edge, moving it along and pressing or cutting as I go. I find this quick and easy and costs me nothing!

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 23:33:24 PM »
My teeny little 2.75" unpicking scissors and a thimble (can't hand sew without one) top the list, but buttonholer and acrylic ruler with rotary cutter come high on the list too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.