The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018

Pearl

Re: The Sewing Place Group Quilt for FoQ 2018
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2017, 08:51:09 AM »

We should want to illustrate the various areas within the forum  .....  Vintage machines, garment making, P&Q, Cafe, thimbles, scissors, needle and thread, pins (great chance for embellishment there) and of course the in house jokes ... Ducks behind the sofa, Wet fish, Bunting ???  These are by nature Pictorial tho' ....

Oh, that's a great idea and would make for a fun piece. 

Lowena

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2017, 09:49:25 AM »
As a matter of interest, do you know how many(ish) members we have from abroad...........RUBES where are you????
Lots of interesting ideas to mull over......I feel a poll coming on  :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:52:25 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sheilago

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 23:36:58 PM »
Hi Imi, Just read this . Sounds like a lovely idea and I  would love to join in, if we have plenty of notice. :D

Fajita

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 00:26:08 AM »
A bookshelf quilt. Each person to have their own section of bookshelf with their own items on.  With the titles on we could have a wide variety of colours, sizes, laying down, standing up, open, closed books. The choices of books would give perhaps a personal insight into each member of the group.

Sewingsue

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 07:18:22 AM »
I have seen pictures of bookshelf quilts with other items also displayed on the shelves.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

rubywishes

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 07:46:37 AM »
All sounds a bit scary for my skill level...ppiecing, applique and embroidery are not my thing. But I will follow with interest.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:56:02 AM by rubywishes »
1980 Janome (aka Joan...she's no nonsense or frills),  Bernina 710 (aka Bernice), Juki TL2010Q,  1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora).
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »
All sounds a bit scary for my skill level...piecing, applique and embroidery are not my thing. But I will follow with interest.

Oh Ruby, how can you possibly write that with that beautiful bargello draped across your avatar????

We are looking at interspersing the pictorial sections with some classic pieced blocks for the PPPers (those peeps who prefer to piece)

Please join in, we have a lot of non UK members and would love to represent them ... you get your own flag !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
A bookcase quilt is a good suggestion.  It would lend itself very readily to QAYG and suitable sashing strips would pull it all together.  Also lots of rectangles but there could be applique etc.

Google 'bookcase quilt' and you get loads of images, here are just a few:
with applique
with cats
in a frame

Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Sakar

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 14:06:28 PM »
Sorry for beeing so late in this thread...

But yes, I would like to be part of such a group quilt for FoQ 2018.

In most topics, people already said, what I think.

A group quilt needs to look like a group, not random 'stuff'.
Very definitely!
I definitely agree with that!!

I'd suggest a colour theme. So decide upon a brand of fabric and the colours so everyone knows what they've got (or sets of colours to choose between).
A colour theme maybe, but not a particular brand of fabric; use whatever is appropriate to each bit of the whole.
That's exactly, what I think. I am not sure, if I can get all the brands here in the "nowhere of quilting"... Colour themes are a good idea.

A really early thought was having the name (and address) of the forum within the quilt ....
Generally a very good idea, but think of the many people (including me), who has no sewing-machine, which can stitch the name on it. I will use my mothers machine, but people might be intimidated by such requirements.
To provide embroidered flags is a great idea!!

Zigzag

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2017, 07:07:18 AM »
Smashing thoughts from all TSP members.
I have been learning hand sewing blocks this summer.  I would like to attempt a small piece from Buxton   :thread:   <3

Love sewing with Sapphire, Janome, Silver and Babylock.
Best friend is the serger to give that superior edge to seams  😍

Iminei

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2017, 07:11:04 AM »
Thx ZZ, I really should be conceiving a plan for this.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewbee

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2017, 09:02:50 AM »
I must say, I am really excited about this project! I don't quilt and wouldn't have a single idea how to even go about the quilt Iminei posted nor how to go about a much simpler quilt. I just bought a Bernina 570qe and I am so intrigued by some of these beautiful quilts on Google that I might begin to learn quilting.

I am looking forward to following this thread and to see the finished quilt. What a fabulous idea and good luck, everyone!

Acorn

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
I have to say that I do still really like the idea of locally relevant blocks, with maybe the odd laptop, phone etc to show how we connect (and for those who don't want to do a local scene).  There could be a sewing machine in the middle to show that that's our real point of connection.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »
Imi Brenda's at a wedding ( in Warrington?).. the one she's been making the wedding present quilt for.
So I would like to take part and am happy to applique I live in very rural landscape so think greens ( sorry Low) if the theme was where you live ...
Am a beginner at quilting so was wondering if you could make the sashing look like window frames? is that even possible?

I suppose my nearest tourist attraction would be Bury St Edmunds or Lavenham 

Sorry Bury Pic didn't link.. Mind you  with Lavenham  it wouldn't matter if things weren't straight

Just LOVE this little village. Is it in Suffolk? I want to visit these quaint little villages in England now that I am back home in the UK.

Vegegrow

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 13:36:49 PM »
Yes Sewbee.. Lavenham is in Suffolk and well worth a visit http://www.visit-lavenham.co.uk/
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz