The Sewing Place

What do you do when this happens?

Lowena

What do you do when this happens?
« on: September 12, 2017, 13:36:33 PM »
I am currently making a quilt with a + design of squares. The squares are joined into rows and then the rows sewn together... all rather prosaic.
I have done 8 rows perfectly ... when...... disahster dahling! The squares on row 9 did not match exactly to those on row 8  :o I unpicked... resewed.....unpicked again... resewed...and, a third time!!!!! Bow we're only talking a fraction of an inch, but, you know what it's like when you've noticed  :angry:
Crux of question........ what to do now?? Do I recut all the squares ( assuming I have the spare fabric - I am using up the end of my stash ) do I remeasure and recut the existing squares ( assuming it's them and not row 8 that's the problem).... do I unpick again or do I just leave it and hope that quilting will solve the problem? What would you do?????
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

Re: What do you do when this happens?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 14:33:42 PM »
Pic please!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 16:41:22 PM »
Re-sew some of the seams on the bigger/longer strip.  It probably won't need much adjustment, 1/16 inch tighter makes ⅛ inch difference.  You should be able to make the adjustments on the outsides of the squares without any difficulty.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 16:54:14 PM »
If you put a pin at every point where seams or pattern need to match you should be able to see which bit(s) is fractionally too big or small and just adjust that bit.  There may be only one bit that is the culprit.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 17:42:05 PM »
I did actually pin, just not accurately enough methinks  :(
You know me Imi, I'm not good with doings pics  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 19:07:52 PM »
Do as Ploshkin says. Pin the bits that have got to match and you will see where the problem lies. You may be able to get away with easing the 'bad' block if it is only slightly out, otherwise just move the seam in or out a thread or 2.
Or just stop looking at it so closely.