The Sewing Place

Vogue 9230 - 21 pattern pieces...

Bodgeitandscarper

Vogue 9230 - 21 pattern pieces...
« on: September 22, 2017, 16:04:58 PM »
... just cut the pattern out, now for the fabric.  And then the sewing...
Why do I always pick patterns with thousands of pieces???

Has anyone else made this pattern?  I'm hoping it goes together ok, it looks a little, errrr, involved.

Mama likes to make

Re: Vogue 9230 - 21 pattern pieces...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 17:34:17 PM »
That's a lot, will be interesting to see if all are essential. I cut out a pattern yesterday that included a piece for a strip of interfacing to go along the front of it! Needless to say I just skipped to cutting the piece up against the other pattern piece and cursed that I didn't read what it was before went to the trouble of cutting out the piece neatly from the tissue!
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 20:48:03 PM »
I think it took me almost two hours to cut all that lot out this afternoon!  It didn't help that I also decided to lengthen it as well (after cutting two pieces out - good job I have plenty of material).  No time for sewing any of yet, may start tomorrow.

jen

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
Is that the lovely jacket? It looks so interesting. What fabric are you using?

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 13:20:20 PM »
I made this one in a plaid fine wool. So I gave myself the usual headache of matching the squares - within reason. I wear it as a slightly oversized winter blouse rather than a jacket. I like it and I think it looks good. If I recall correctly the only fiddly bit involved one of the pockets as it is positioned against one of the folds. I may make it again (but not with tartan next time!!) but it is a lengthy project.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 13:42:12 PM »
The fabric is a water resistant tactel from UK Fabrics Online.  It doesn't feel like it will be waterproof, so I don't mind doing something with lots of seams.
So far, I've put two pieces together three times (sew, unpick, sew, unpick, sew, bugger it, that'll have to do!) that curved seam was an absolute pig for some reason, and it's still crinkly, although I haven't trimmed the seam allowance yet.  I've now gone to add the third piece (a facing for the edge of the upper front) and it isn't long enough and I can't see why - so I've simply cut another one a bit bigger!  Time for coffee and chocolate biscuits before I do any more.

Have you got a pic of yours Tamnymore?  Would love to see it.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 18:37:37 PM »
Here's the front, right pocket seam and back. I've included the view of the pocket as I think it is a bit awkward having those folded bits end where the pocket opens. The seam of the pocket could get bulky if you have anything other than fairly fine fabric. This is a size 20-22 and is quite loose. Bertha is a bit thinner than I am!

I did rather punish myself matching up squares which was impossible on the side fronts anyway!

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 19:29:17 PM »
I really love that - I would certainly buy it if I saw it in a shop!   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 19:30:04 PM »
That looks really great! 
I see what you mean about the pocket, hopefully mine will be ok because it's quite thin fabric.  I have a nasty feeling mine may be just a tad too small, but I can save it by adding a button band if necessary. 
One thing particularly puzzles me, why does the centre back seam have a one inch seam allowance?  Which you then trim off to normal?  All may become clear tomorrow when I get to that bit.

Holly Berry

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 20:25:32 PM »
I love this pattern. I have a piece of Italian designer silk I bought off eBay a few years ago, an impulse buy, and have never found a pattern I like, this would be perfect.

I made something similar Vogue 6106, designed by her sister Katherine.
Procrastination get behind me

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 21:50:07 PM »
I've just checked and I see that my version still has its one inch centre back seam which I mustn't have trimmed, probably because I had already overlocked the edges. You sometimes get wider seams when something is cut on the bias but as that isn't the case here I've no idea why the seams are that wide.

This pattern has plenty of ease so if you are using your usual size, Bodgey, I'd be surprised if it comes up.small.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 20:26:38 PM »
I'm using a size smaller than usual, mainly cos that's all the pattern goes up to  :|  but it's fine  :)  I'm finding a lot of the Vogue looser designs fit me best in a size smaller.
Spent ages on it again today, and now only have the sleeves and hem facings to do - and some seam edge overlocking/tidying.  One thing I'm not sure about is the length at the back, despite adding 1 1/2 inches.  The back has two uneven pieces, and the shorter one is really too short.  I'm undecided whether I can add another section to it (it's got lots of bits already, who's counting another one?)  or should I do it properly and unpick the lower (short) piece and cut another longer?  It's a lot more unpicking then it sounds, due to the flappy bit at the waist.
I'm looking forward to finishing this one.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 18:12:59 PM »
Spent today altering jeans (why do they make them so they come about two inches above my waist at the front - actually I think it may be to do with my fat overhang  :|  :S ) which meant unpicking waistbands and zips.
So, no progress with the jacket, apart from probably deciding it is too short at the back, in fact both bits are too short.  I think the only answer is to cut two more pieces and cut them straight across at the bottom edge, or even dip slightly in the centre.  How much fun is unpicking all that going to be - at the waist there is a seam, overlocking, and another row of topstitching - and then there's the sides with the pockets...
Think I'll take the pupster for a walk and then have a soak in the hot tub before I start.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 19:39:05 PM »
Looks good, Bodgey. Must be the same length as mine at the back. I'm 5'7" or thereabouts and i've found the back length to be fine or at least I've never noticed it!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 20:44:22 PM »
Thank you  :)  I'm 5' 8" and I've already lengthened it by 1.5 inches, but as you can see it's not going to cover my tops, and I usually wear tops that length.  Time to start the unpicking... :S