The Sewing Place

Vogue 9230 - again

Bodgeitandscarper

Vogue 9230 - again
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
I said last time I'd never do this pattern again, but I do like the finished garment.  https://jaycotts.co.uk/products/v9230-misses-asymmetrical-hem-high-collar-jackets#.We8kXWiPJPY

The pattern calls for 3.1 metres - I have 2.1m.  There's nothing like being a bit over-ambitious is there?
I did look to see if My Fabrics had some more material, but no joy this time, so a-bodging I will go  0_0

I decided I could do away with lots of the strips of facings, including the overlap bit at the waist, that'd reduce the amount needed by lots.
I've ended up recutting the bottom pieces without any pleats or gathers, no overlap for the centre overlap for the back bits, and reducing the length by 2 inches.  It's just squeezing on, although the pockets may have to be made from a different fabric, and I need to squeeze a second collar layer and a front facing, although that can be bodged as just a strip I'm sure.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Vogue 9230 - again
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 15:56:31 PM »
I succeeded in cutting everything but a second layer for the collar, so it may have to be a single layer!  It's all gone together well so far, and seems to hang and fit ok, just about to do the sleeves then look at the collar, will post pics when it's finished.  The material is a stretch sort-of-cotton-twill type stuff  - https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/126-poso-e16-118_zoli-stretch-twill-dark-green.html

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 17:34:24 PM »
Look forward to seeing the finished jacket! I'm loving the fabric!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 17:38:41 PM »
Yes you could cut the bottom layer of the collar in a different fabric.... and pretend that was what you meant all  along!  :)

I mean to try this pattern again some time but I've just taken delivery of the new Tilton 'shacket' pattern plus a skirt and Sandra Betzina jacket pattern from the US Vogue website (the new collection) so must try them first.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 17:40:49 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 17:59:22 PM »
Do you have pattern numbers or links please Tamnymore?  They sound interesting  :)
Sleeves are in, next I need to think about the collar, I don't have any suitable material for the underneath, but Camelot Crafts could probably have something in their patchwork cottons.  Or shall I just do a narrow double turn hem?  Think I might plump for that.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 18:54:23 PM »
The Marcy Tilton patterns are V9287 and V9283. The Sandra Betzina jacket is V1574. I joined the BMV club on the US Vogue site at $9.99 per year and this gives 20% off patterns. I waited for one of their frequent sales when Vogue patterns  are $5.99 each or $4.79 each for BMV members. I ordered 3 patterns and with the postage to the UK ($15) this works out at £22.50 - £23 for the three depending on the exchange rate and it takes 10 days for the patterns to arrive. The value of the patterns is well under £15 so no risk of customs charges. I often buy Vogue patterns this way. You get them before they arrive in the UK and it compares favourably with sewdirect prices. However the good value only works if you buy three Vogues at a time if you see what I mean!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 19:13:33 PM »
The Marcy Tilton patterns are V9287 and V9283. The Sandra Betzina jacket is V1574. I joined the BMV club on the US Vogue site at $9.99 per year and this gives 20% off patterns. I waited for one of their frequent sales when Vogue patterns  are $5.99 each or $4.79 each for BMV members. I ordered 3 patterns and with the postage to the UK ($15) this works out at £22.50 - £23 for the three depending on the exchange rate and it takes 10 days for the patterns to arrive. The value of the patterns is well under £15 so no risk of customs charges. I often buy Vogue patterns this way. You get them before they arrive in the UK and it compares favourably with sewdirect prices. However the good value only works if you buy three Vogues at a time if you see what I mean!
Sounds interesting - and don't forget to post pics please when you make them!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 13:08:28 PM »
Finished, can't decide whether to wash it now or just wear it, it's a little bit "stiff" but should soften up I'm sure.  I didn't have any buttons, but had a perfect match in kam snaps.
Pic below, also the red one I did first as a comparison.  Spot the differences  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 13:10:15 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 15:35:02 PM »
Ooh, I like this version much better than the red, much crisper.  Well done for squeezing this out of the available fabric.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 17:43:21 PM »
I also like your newest version better but love the red colour
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 17:07:01 PM »
Ooh yes. It works well without the foldy-over bits.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 17:15:24 PM »
I did away with the facings on the overlappy bits at the waist, just folded them up by 5/8", then place the lower sections on and sewed about 3/8" up from edge, so still look kinda overlapped.  I also took out all the gathers and pleats in the lower fronts and backs, which made those pieces much smaller and shorter so saved a lot of fabric there.