The Sewing Place

So, just supposing...........

rubywishes

So, just supposing...........
« on: November 07, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »
Just supposing I wanted to quilt a quilt by hand...what do I need? I know I need a hoop, and needle and thread but as to the specifics, well you see it's been almost 30 years since I did any hand quilting and I can't quite remember anything else and I'm sure more specific details of requirements are necessary. Anyone care to take me by the hand and enlighten me? 
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

Re: So, just supposing...........
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »
I always hand quilt, but I do Big stitch quilting using a sashiko ( or other big eyed ) needle and perle thread no8. However, the process is the same.
I never use a hoop but if you do, make sure the fabric is looseish and not taut as in embroidery.
Mark out your pattern ( if necessary ), start from the middle ish, and concentrate on the evenness of your stitches rather than their length per se. Don't worry about "so many to the inch" but if you do, remember that they count both back and front stitches so it's not as daunting as it seems.
I find it quite restful and it gives me far less stress than machine quilting, but, it seems to take forever  :( and sometimes I'm guilty of not quilting closely enough  :| but I'm sure you're much more dedicated than that  :angel:
You'll do it fine  :*
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:49:58 AM »
Pearls of wisdom from our Sashiko Sage there ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »
All you need is a needle and thread - plus a pair of scissors and maybe a chalk pencil to mark out the design.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »
And a very tough middle finger on your right hand (or left if you're left-handed).  Or a thimble if they work for you.

I am coming to the end of a quilt that I started over 30 years ago (it has been put away for long periods of time over the years, but it now needs to be finished).  Every stitch has been done by hand - for the patchwork and the quilting - and I am quilting it in the ditch.  It has many, many flaws, but it has taught me one thing very clearly....

.... I will NEVER EVER hand quilt anything again.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »
I cannot use a thimble. Acorn, well done for the hand piecing, that must have taken forever  :o
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
Thankyou everyone. I don't have a specific quilt in mind just yet.... I've got several waiting for backing to be purchased (reasonably priced backing is like hens' teeth over here in the LQS's) and I was musing it might be nice to have some handwork to do in the evenings or when sitting outside watching the grandchildren (tell me again........I am meant to enjoy babysitting?? :[). Might even be nice to have something to take in the caravan when we go away in the summer period.

Oh, so you don't have to use a hoop then Lowie? That's interesting....and a sashiko needle? I'll have to look that one up at the local haby store. Hmm Acorn, SITD was what I was thinking about doing. I do have a quilt to do that is just chock full of triangles and lines and angles.....and more triangles...and squares in squares........and on and on and on.... I thought SITD would do nicely to accentuate it all but didn't want to be tugging and twisting and twirling through the machine; hence the thought of hand quilting but you have put the fear of whatsit into me! 0_0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:13:07 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
I am sorry ruby!  Just bear in mind that I'm the only one saying such things - there is probably a better way of doing it.  In fact there must be, or nobody would have started it in the first place!

Lowena, I can't manage thimbles either.  I have one of these which at least stays on, and works well for gripping the needle.  I don't think I could have used it for the whole thing, but it is helping me through the last bits of quilting.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 12:43:12 PM »
SITD was what I was thinking about doing..... I thought SITD would do nicely to accentuate it all but didn't want to be tugging and twisting and twirling through the machine; hence the thought of hand quilting but you have put the fear of whatsit into me! 0_0

If I was hand quilting, I'd want it to be seen, like Low's lovely big stitch quilting.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 19:07:37 PM »
Quilting needle - betweens, size 8. I've tried smaller sizes and they are too tiny to see to thread.
Thimble - when you've made a hole in your finger you learn to use one quite quickly (how do I know?)
Quilting thread - good quality 40wt cotton.
Hoop - optional. It does stop you losing your place (but take the quilt out between session) and a floor standing frame takes the weight.
Washable marker pen or chalk pencil.
Templates can be useful.
Lighting - a good lamp with a daylight bulb helps you see what you're doing.
Glasses if needed.
A comfortable chair.

Hand quilting will survive a washing machine perfectly well. Why stitch in the ditch? It'll bore you to tears...

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 07:41:22 AM »
Hehe, I'm getting cold feet now. Stitching a pattern? yikes!!!May have to ruminate over it a while longer!