The Sewing Place

Latest purchase

Catllar

Latest purchase
« on: March 08, 2017, 13:27:54 PM »
From my man in Figures. The black and white is a textured scuba - I asked for 1.5 mts and he gave me 2.5mts as it was the end of the roll. The floral is a lovely italian  viscose rayon - gorgeous hand and a silky feel- bought 2 metres of that and the third one is another Italian border print viscose again I got a couple of metres. Would have been rude not to.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 13:30:21 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Vegegrow

Re: Latest purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 13:32:37 PM »
Would have been rude not to.
Definitely... in fact you may have to visit again to buy more
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 15:25:46 PM »
Oooh, they are beautiful!  Love them all.

Any plans for making up?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 17:49:18 PM »
Honestly J? No. Just a vague idea the border print would make nice loose pants for the summer here or even a tabard-y thing to go over the (proposed) stash bust Style Arc pants in blue.  The black and white could make Love Notions Sabrina Slim pants and the floral - no idea yet.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
I keep seeing Scuba but I've never actually felt it or bought it.  When I hear the name all I see is a man wearing a black scuba dive suit.  What is it like to feel, sew and wear? More importantly does it show your lumps and bumps?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
I keep seeing Scuba but I've never actually felt it or bought it.  When I hear the name all I see is a man wearing a black scuba dive suit.  What is it like to feel, sew and wear? More importantly does it show your lumps and bumps?

No not really. It's not neoprene.

It's essentially a knit. Close to a double knit, slightly ponte roma feel but it uses polyester and is a lot more lightweight. Because of it's light weight it doesn't drape the same as a ponte roma would do at that thickness. It also has a lustre over it and is very smooth on the surface and spongy too. It's an odd thing to describe. Think of those lustred materials used in exercise wear that are very smooth and have very good recovery. It's like that stuff, but instead of a single jersey it's a double.

It is quite hot to wear, I had a scuba top and couldn't handle it even in the winter but then I am a hot person in general and I get public transport and run places because I am always late  0_0

It'd be perfect for a winter fancy event IMO.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 17:11:39 PM »
Pretty much what Fran has said.  Scuba knit, as it should properly be described  :devil: is otherwise double knit and is smooth and cool to the touch.  It doesn't fray and needs no finishing.  However, if you are menopausal or prone to heat flashes, steer clear.

Neoprene is spongey and has neither warp nor weft.

maliw

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 20:35:22 PM »
Lovely fabrics, I like the border print. I must admit I didn't know what scuba was but when I did get to experience it I'm not a great  fan unless there is a thinner one than some of the ones I've seen.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Fabric Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 20:56:46 PM »
Love the fabrics, I really like the look of the black and white one. Grateful for your detailed description of scuba knit, Fran, I had always wondered!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 13:30:48 PM »
Now that is interesting, put me off I suppose, but just as well, I hate mistakes on fabric when you expect one thing and get another.  They are tempting because they are usually gorgeous patterns. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 17:31:46 PM »
Absolutely love the scuba - I've sewn it a couple of times and it's very well behaved indeed.  :angel:

Skims your lumps and bumps very nicely and if you use it for a bodycon style it's supportive, soft like lycra but with far less stretch. Not so breathable as has already been mentioned, catllar, so you may want to reconsider trousers in your climate.

The border print reminds me of folkart patterns, I think of Hungarian maidens with big aprons & plaits. Lovely  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 18:15:01 PM »
I'm not sure about plaits - but the big apron and the dirndl skirt - yodel -ay-hi hoooooo! :D

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 23:28:17 PM »
I'm popping down to Spain tomorrow - might just call in to see my fiancé - need some black scuba. ;)

Vegegrow

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 21:31:17 PM »
I'm sure he'll persuade you to buy other essential fabrics as well... :*
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 21:51:16 PM »
And some fabric for the bridesmaids' dresses. ;)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde