The Sewing Place

Cushion covers... how hard can they be??

BrendaP

Re: Cushion covers... how hard can they be??
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »
There are so many ways to make cushions.

The most basic is how Low described; machine three sides and hand stitch the fourth.

Add a zip, either in one of the seams or across the middle of the back section, easier than in the seam.

Pillowcase style; IME these usually need a bit of help to stay closed - a button and buttonhole or a bit of velcro to hold the flap closed.

To make a cushion look plump you should always use a pad that's bigger than the outer case; ie 45cm x 45cm pad in a 40cm x 40cm pad.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Mozzy

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 15:22:44 PM »
Regarding the Moon fabric, I wanted mine to match front and back and as I had plenty of fabric it wasn’t a problem. I bought it at the Multiyork outlet shop in Warrington, which sadly has closed down before all the other stores.

In fact, I still have fabric left but can’t decide what to make. I have enough for lampshades but two things stop me doing them - one is the suspicion they wouldn’t let any light through and the other is that there would just be too much of the same fabric. Maybe a cover for the waste paper basket lol.

Kittensposies

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 18:53:04 PM »
Evening all!!

Thank you sooo much for all the fantastic ideas. I am feeling much braver! I also hate flappy corners so will definitely round them off, and will definitely go for the larger cushion pad too.

Ooh exciting, I may be sewing again after such a long absence!! 

I’ll keep you posted  <3

annierose

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 17:24:19 PM »
Fabricland do decent cushion pads, much cheaper than Merrick & Day - not quite such good quality, but mine are still comfy after several years!
When making a lot of cushions, I bought a zipper roll so I could cut exactly what I needed, and found it so much easier than fiddling to put a zip in. As I seem to need to wash mine fairly often (!) I don't really like sewing them up by hand.

I cut a square of the 'nice' fabric to the exact size of the pad (so the seam allowance then makes it a bit overstuffed). From the plain fabric I would cut the same size but 2 cms. longer one way - cut this in half and sew the zipper on to join them, with a 1cm allowance. Zip up, now 2 squares the same size that can be sewn together.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 16:51:20 PM »
I did some with a button back.  I cut the back with overlaps at the centre line, faced them with remnants of a toning cotton fabric I had to hand and made the buttonhole first, added the button, basted it together and then sewed right sides together all the way round. 

Kittensposies

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 20:59:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion @annierose, if I’m going to buy Moon fabric I need to economise somewhere!!

@HenriettaMaria I love button back cushions! Not sure which I dislike more though...sewing buttonholes or sewing zips ;)

I got some plain Moon wool in a sort of pale moss colour as an offcut from eBay. This will probably be the back of the cushions; just need to pluck up the courage to spent £50 on a metre of the Huntingtower check  :o

I got 2m of the moss colour, so I might make a whole cushion out of it to test the fabric first.

Taking my time over this... current debate is whether to do piping or not, as I may have accidentally bought a piping foot “just in case”!

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 08:32:15 AM »
Just sticking my oar in here...

I finished this for the MIL's birthday this coming weekend ....

Its not over stuffed as the largest Feather inner I could find was 24" and the star block comes out around that, add the 1" border etc and you will have a slightly larger than you want cover.

Very pleased with the buttonholes! I made a practice one and then let The Splurgess get on with it!!!  :o Seriously, I pressed the Start button, got up and poured myself  a drink while she got on with them!  :P
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rowe1311

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 19:30:35 PM »
I have just read through some of the posts.  Cushions are pretty easy, but I have only made a few, and have always done it the easiest way with the envelope fold and I have found they don't stick out much on the back.  I have only used cheap fabric, so I haven't been too precious about them though. 

I do, however, have more experience of baby puke and toddlers pee, and I think washable is a very very good idea!