The Sewing Place

My good deed today

Sandra

Re: My good deed today
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 14:59:09 PM »
Thinking of teachers who don't really know their subject...

My daughter had the option of 'sewing' at her school. It was a taster lesson...more crafts really and she was making pom-poms.
She's made these many times at home, and she'd got to the stage where the wool was wound around, she'd tied it securely, and she needed to cut the wool along the outer edge.
She was cutting when the teacher asked if she could do with some help....(perhaps she was struggling a bit with the thickness of the wool and slightly blunt scissors?)...anyway, daughter handed it over to the teacher and watched as she just ripped all the lengths of chopped wool out, left it on the desk and walked off.  ><

Daughter said there were sewing machines at the school but has no knowledge of anyone ever using them. There are no proper sewing subjects taught there.

Sandra.
xxx
xxx

Roger

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 15:07:45 PM »
When I was at school, I was trusted with a sewing machine (1 between 2) I spent the whole lesson threading it and starting it and watching the thread zip back up to the tension so I could start over... I never really got beyond that in School.

I was lucky enough to teach some very gifted kids, one was so talented that I used to give him subject books I was about to read and he’d get them back to me in a couple of weeks... that would be an easy months read for me.

But it really does help if you find a teacher who loves their subject and is willing to share/help.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 21:55:23 PM »
That was so kind of you and I bet you made that lady's day and have given her a lifetimes love of sewing with your patience 👏

Lachica

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 23:17:59 PM »
The lady came back to show me how she'd got got on. She'd finished one dress, sleeves in properly and lovely neat hems and bound the neck edge on the raglan sleeved dress, which was a pity, because the back slit needed finishing, but we discussed ways to sort it. If she asks again, I'll introduce French seams as they make children's garments look tidier. I'm going to her house to help with blind hemming next week. As people have said, a little praise and encouragement go a long way when we're learning, at whatever level.

Bowerbird

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 02:14:33 AM »
How wonderful to have a new sewing friend. It's so kind of you to help her, and so brave of her to ask in the first place.  :flower:
previously known as Plottie,

Ellabella

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 09:56:20 AM »
How lovely is thst, so kind of you and just so rewarding.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

crooknees

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 17:03:48 PM »
What a good friend you are. You have given her so much confidence. Perhaps she would like to join TSP?
crooknees - buried under a mountain of fabric and yarn.