The Sewing Place

How old is stuff in your freezer?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: How old is stuff in your freezer?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »
Madame Cholet, what do you mean, "what shall I do with them?"  The answer to me is obvious, eat them  0_0  0_0

Madame Cholet

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 15:36:16 PM »
Madame Cholet, what do you mean, "what shall I do with them?"  The answer to me is obvious, eat them  0_0  0_0

Alas it is with great misery I report that I lost my appetite for chocolate when I realised it gives me migraines.
 :'(
I nurse unloved vintage Berninas back to health and then just cannot bring myself to part with any of them... 807, 830, 840, 530-2, 930, 910, and a modded 717 in a Singer treadle base.

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 17:34:10 PM »
Throw it away
Triumph of hope over experience :D

sewingj

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 18:27:57 PM »
We could have a TSP anniversary lunch and all help you eat them

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
I have less old stuff now that I no longer have a freezer in the garage.  I can actually see what's in my freezer now :)

Unfortuately (I think  :S), I have a husband who is ruthless about use by/sell by dates - so we don't have much very  old stuff - unless I catch him!!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 10:54:33 AM »
I'm with your husband @b15erk  I throw anything out of date away pronto  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 13:48:30 PM »
If I've used something out of date to cook with I shove the packaging right down the bottom of the bin (or in the boiler) so that DH doesn't see it otherwise he'll be convinced whatever I've cooked is mouldy / off / rotten etc.
I'm not bothered by the date on things, I go by the appearance and smell and if in doubt I don't use it.

Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 16:28:11 PM »
Oh my.  How did we cope before dates on food?  I guess we used our intelligence. Even  the supermarkets admit that 'best before' dates don't mean much.  And tossing stuff out because it has reached a best before date is crazy.  I am curious as to why there is a date on the jars of honey I buy!  It's the only food that doesn't go off! 

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 18:53:00 PM »
If I've used something out of date to cook with I shove the packaging right down the bottom of the bin (or in the boiler) so that DH doesn't see it otherwise he'll be convinced whatever I've cooked is mouldy / off / rotten etc.
I'm not bothered by the date on things, I go by the appearance and smell and if in doubt I don't use it.

I'm with you on that, load of crap designed to waste food.
Oh, and the oldest thing in MY freezer could well be bits of my ex...he's about 66 now.  Well, WOULD have been...

Ploshkin

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 21:05:53 PM »
I am curious as to why there is a date on the jars of honey I buy!  It's the only food that doesn't go off!
I sell my own honey and by law the label must have a best before date but there is no stipulation regarding the length of time.  I usually give it 5 years.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 22:02:47 PM »
I just bought a large pack of SALT for 10p because it was near it's BBD.

How the heck can salt go off?
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire