The Sewing Place

Got a bit of a problem...

Efemera

Re: Got a bit of a problem...
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
Went yesterday to pick up my watch after a service and get the bracelet tweaked ..it wasn’t snapping shut properly....well it still isn’t!.. she was most apologetic and has sent it back again... I should think so at a cost of £380!  I do like that M&S watch, I don’t like round watches, mine is a square one.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:45:41 AM by Efemera »

Ravingdoll

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:54 AM »
Thinking about it Jessie, although a long shot, I would make enquiries with the police as if someone was on the theiving all day and got picked up later all property on him or her would be seized.  Our Reg E is full of unclaimed stolen property that we can’t find owners for!

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
RD, thank you yet again!  I'll pop in to the police station on Saturday, when I've spoken to the Watch man.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
Perhaps I am too inclined to think the worse but it is possible that is wasn't stolen at all  and that it is worth more than you think and that the watchman still has it or has sold it on.  Sorry to say this  but it is possible.

If he can't give you a crime reference  number  I would report this yourself and get a number. Then do as others have said and go around the local pawn shops etc

Then try local Facebook pages with as good a description as you can and offer a small reward for the return of your stolen property with no questions asked.

Francesca

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »
I really don't know anything about watches. I was given a TAG Heuer which is supposedly a nice brand but I have no idea what to do with it. It's not my style. It also needs some repair. There is a crack in the glass and the second hand has come loose, and the pin that holds the strap on has popped out so it's actually in two parts. I am loath to pay to have it repaired when I won't wear it, so no idea what to do with it. I imagined that when a time came I could do with a little money for something I would try to sell it to a dealer who could buy it as-is and do the repairs for their own resale, rather than me paying for the repairs then selling it on. I have no idea what it's worth, hopefully a little over £100!

I'm still not entirely sure if I even should sell it though. It was my Dads, who gave it to my Grandpa who stopped wearing it, who gave it to me with the idea I would make a little money off it. But then my Dad found out and suggested he might have it back, even though he doesn't need it or wear it.  :o So for now it's just in my jewellery box until someone asks for it back or it gets forgotten.

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
Perhaps I am too inclined to think the worse but it is possible that is wasn't stolen at all  and that it is worth more than you think and that the watchman still has it or has sold it on.  Sorry to say this  but it is possible.

Exactly what I thought. In fact, I would report it directly to the police without involving the repairer again tbh. If he's done no wrong he'll have no problem with them asking for information but if he knows that the police are informed that gives him more time to cover his tracks if he is guilty. It's suspicious he hasn't already contacted them.

Ploshkin

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
It's also possible that he may have just lost it and not want to admit it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Roger

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 17:50:27 PM »
Just wondering if you have any pictures of your OH with the watch on that might give you a clear image you can show?
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Surest1tch

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 13:52:28 PM »
I know it can't replace the watch but the market chap should surely have insurance against theft like this, its defo a good idea to speak to the CAB.

Samantha

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 14:06:19 PM »
Regardless of his 'customer service' (which doesn't sound great at all) he has said he would try and replace it so you need to try and find a picture of it, or if you can't find the exact one then one that your husband would be happy to have as a replacement?