The Sewing Place

So I've been invited to a wedding

Vegegrow

Re: So I've been invited to a wedding
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 18:45:00 PM »
Salwar kamez is lovely and a lot of fun.

My other half (white British) wears them all the time and loves it. Needless to say we have a lot, but don't really have a good supplier.

The salwar (trousers) come in a range of styles and are quite easy to make and comfy, I made some for OH for winter wear (cotton drill and a second pair in flannel).

A floaty scarf is usually part of the suit.

I would say go for it and find one that is a fabulous colour and outrageously bejewelled!
I'll take some pics of OH's if you want.

Thank you Roger.. what do you use for a pattern Have been looking online and I would prefer something slim fitting as I'm only 5ft 3"  and really don't need any extra bulk around my middle
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Vegegrow

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 18:47:30 PM »
I watched a programme called The Real Marigold Hotel, which is based in India.  The celebs were all invited to an Indian wedding, and wore some lovely outfits.

Wonder if you can get this on replay?

Jessie

Will have a look when I get a moment Jessie.. as we are now going to the ceremonies I think we might need 2 outfits each
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

sewingj

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 18:49:19 PM »
If I had the slightest chance of wearing a sari I`d be in like a shot! We drove through Kings Heath in Brum recently and I couldn`t get over all the gorgeous dress shops - very very tempting!

Vegegrow

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 18:52:32 PM »
I wouldn't go for an actual salwar kameez, but rather a long tunic with a neck that can be embellished and loose trousers.  You could then add to the look with blingy jewellery and maybe a long scarf.  This combination would be good for both the religious ceremony and the less formal reception.

Been looking at the most amazing beaded scarves online... it would be good to make something I might wear again .. and I really don't have a glamourous life style I'm more likely to wear these  :trousers: than these :frock:

Vegegrow

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 18:56:53 PM »

Everyone does sit on the floor, in the prayer rooms and in the dining hall etc, the reasoning is that it makes everyone equal, although they did have a bench or two as a concession to anyone very elderly or disabled.

Thank you for all that information Brenda was wondering about my 82 year old mum sitting on the floor... she's very fit but often has a bad back as she has a twisted spine...

Vegegrow

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 19:01:18 PM »
If I had the slightest chance of wearing a sari I`d be in like a shot! We drove through Kings Heath in Brum recently and I couldn`t get over all the gorgeous dress shops - very very tempting!
Mums got a sari she bought in India but I'm going for the tunic look I think.... It will be out of character for me to wear bright and shiny :D

maliw

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 19:29:41 PM »
Congrats on the invite. As to clothing, years ago I was at Bombay Stores in Bradford (fabulous fabrics as well as all sorts of other stuff) and I asked the man who served me what they felt about us wearing their fashions ie saris and salwar kameez. He said that they took it as a compliment that other people wanted to wear them. Sadly I've never had the opportunity but I would say that you should wear what you feel comfortable in.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

UttaRetch

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 19:43:33 PM »
Tunic suggestion

Go for luxurious fabric in a rich colour and embellish the neckline.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Vegegrow

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 20:06:48 PM »
Thank you Utta... I have something very similar which should suffice.. I have bought a salawar kameez unstitched from eBay to see what its like .. size etc.... and it comes embroidered but it looks like I have to make 3 + 3 western dresses as my Mum and Sister are going as well

BrendaP

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 20:55:40 PM »
Thank you for all that information Brenda was wondering about my 82 year old mum sitting on the floor... she's very fit but often has a bad back as she has a twisted spine...

If you / Mum are worried about sitting on the floor ask in advance
Brenda.  My machines are: Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy, Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born in 1940 and Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitch.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Vegegrow

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 21:02:15 PM »
If you / Mum are worried about sitting on the floor ask in advance
Have mentioned it to SIL she said the elderly can sit around the edge I should be ok but may well practise a bit as I don't think I have sat crossed legged for over an hour since I was in assembly at school.. mumble mumble years ago

UttaRetch

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 21:56:34 PM »
Perhaps you can sneak in a cushion ring.  ;)
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Ellabella

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 22:59:24 PM »
The sitting down would be ok, it would be the standing up again afterwards that would be my worry.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Roger

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2017, 23:07:41 PM »

Thank you Roger.. what do you use for a pattern Have been looking online and I would prefer something slim fitting as I'm only 5ft 3"  and really don't need any extra bulk around my middle

I'm really sorry I missed your request:
I use this Pattern https://sewguide.com/salwarkameezpantstutorial/ and go for the plain. the pattern is quite interesting, because the waist band (pretty deep) can be more fitted, while the legs carry the fullness and are heavily pleated and using a thinner material is more traditional. all in all i think theyre a rather flattering and very comfortable pair of trousers.

Hope the wedding was awesome!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132