The Sewing Place

The Rant Thread

UttaRetch

Re: The Rant Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 21:17:49 PM »
Ugh, why make a scene.  Just say no thank you.  If I am sitting down and someone who I judge less able than me gets on the bus/train, I offer them my seat.  Hell, I even move so that two people can sit together.
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 21:24:24 PM »
Ugh, why make a scene.  Just say no thank you.  If I am sitting down and someone who I judge less able than me gets on the bus/train, I offer them my seat.  Hell, I even move so that two people can sit together.

Yes it's a silly thing for people to moan. I like the Baby on Board badges, no questions then.

Lowena

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:46 AM »
I get very embarrassed if someone offers me a seat and it makes me feel old and depressed for the rest of the day  :'( silly I know, but I like to fool myself that I'm young and fit  :'(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
I've noticed that I am getting called luv & dear quite a lot these days (by men & women) and when I have my hair cut the girls rush to pick up my bag for me!
Life's too short for ironing.

Francesca

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 11:16:29 AM »
I get very embarrassed if someone offers me a seat and it makes me feel old and depressed for the rest of the day  :'( silly I know, but I like to fool myself that I'm young and fit  :'(

This is what I mean though... I find myself stuck between "would I rather they are angry at me for not offering a seat, or are angry at me because I think they look old enough to need one?"

I feel like I'd rather be rude with my seat offering than rude with my age-guessing  0_0 I would only offer to someone who looks really very frail.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »
Many years ago, returning from London with my young son, the train began to fill quickly (it was beginning of rush hour). A lady got on the train and was standing so I told my son to sit on my lap so she could take his place. In the few seconds it took for him to get up, and for me to speak to the lady, a man leapt in (old slam door train) and plonked himself in the space. Sadly neither of us had the nerve to tell him to get out.  (I wasn't so mean in those days.)

Lowena

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
Good for you Fran  :D I'd rather suffer for my misplaced vanity  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
I emailed the building manager to have the padlock to the gate that bars the car parking area replaced.  I was told:
I will need to check to see which type of padlock it is at the moment and then replace with the same type so that we do not have to issue new keys to residents who already have keys for the old padlock.

Well he is going to have to stump up for one more key as I don't have one.  Talk about cheese paring.

Francesca

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2017, 12:23:04 PM »
I emailed the building manager to have the padlock to the gate that bars the car parking area replaced.  I was told:
Well he is going to have to stump up for one more key as I don't have one.  Talk about cheese paring.

A few keys?! I'm sure that's not that expensive.

When we moved out of our flat, the landlord put in a claim for a £150 locksmith to change the lock on the post box. For reference this was one of those simple aluminium postboxes with just a basic lock on it.

We had lost the key (I actually now believe it was left in the lock accidentally by me and later stolen because subsequently I had my identity stolen...) but regardless, we planned to purchase replacements at our own cost as it was our fault we lost them. I contacted the company and they wanted £9 for a pair of keys including postage but they wouldn't let me purchase them, so I wrote to the landlord and gave him the reference to purchase them and said we could send him the cash by post or add it to rent. This was about 2 months before we moved out.

Instead he ignored me and then tried to charge £150 for the "emergency locksmith". Idiot, I told you 2 months ago that we lost the key and needed a replacement!

He also tried to charge us for not returning the lobby door key. I had to explain to the arbitration service that there was no keyhole, as the building was accessed with a passcode.

UttaRetch

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2017, 16:18:21 PM »
Seriously, that padlock came out of the Ark.  Good luck with finding the same thing.  0_0

Lantana

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2017, 16:32:04 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me what some landlords will try and get away with!  :devil:

L :vintage:
Feeling the fear and doing it anyway .... er sometimes!

crooknees

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2017, 17:09:00 PM »
I've noticed that I am getting called luv & dear quite a lot these days (by men & women) and when I have my hair cut the girls rush to pick up my bag for me!
This has been happening to me too. At first I was a bit startled. Took a long look in the mirror. Saw how others see me! Oh well, it comes to us all.
crooknees - buried under a mountain of fabric and yarn.

Tamnymore

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2017, 19:11:43 PM »
Having lived in Greater Manchester for 40 years I've had 40 years of being called love.  ><
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bloobell

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
Today I'd like to rant about a cough that's been making my life a misery for 5 days now. I sound like a seal barking, I've managed to make the piano ring with it, it's so loud. I'm on my second day of antibiotics, my fourth day of little or no sleep and I've given myself a headache and sore abs.
There. Grumpy pants signing off...

Vegegrow

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
coughs are rotten aren't they :'( I do hope you feel better soon Bloobell... I understand that :toast: can be quite medicinal

I 'm easily convinced
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz