The Sewing Place

Craving pictures?

Yankee Doodle

Craving pictures?
« on: March 21, 2017, 21:42:13 PM »
Ok, so I just read in another thread Iminei says you (we) all crave pictures so I thought I'd post one of my favourites.  I made this one about 5 years ago and entered it in the Malvern Quilt show then.  No prizes, but I wasn't expecting any.  It was my first attempt at machine quilting and it's definitely not perfect but from a distance it looks pretty darn good, if I  do say so myself.  :-)

YD   

Lantana

Re: Craving pictures?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 22:12:18 PM »
WOW!!
If that didn't win a prize what on earth do you have to do to win one??

Actually thinking back that may have been the year I went to Malvern as I seem to remember seing it  before because of the colour ways it seems familiar? Could be a false memory though.

Anyway I love it! I remember having a discusion with fellow viewers saying we didn't always agree with the judges decisions and that there is such a thing as 'being too perfect'. We felt that the quits done on a long arm automatic thingie should be judged apart from the rest. Could even have been your quilt that sparked off the discussion.  :)

Not saying that we shouldn't aspire to it mind but somehow too perfect moves away from the spirit of the quilt.

So as far as I'm concerned you can have a prize!  :sew:

:vintage:

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 22:24:14 PM »
Quilting/patchwork is not my thing, but Lantana your quilt is lovely.  You was robbed.  :)

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 22:28:34 PM »
Ahhh, thank you for awarding me a prize, very thoughtful.

While it was hanging at Malvern I did do some anonymous lurking and listened to comments.  Most were very good but one woman closely inspected all the stitching and said loudly, "this one's a trainwreck!".  Felt like a knife to my gut but that's what you get for lurking and listening, I  suppose.  But hey, there's always gotta be one.  It took me a while to get over it, but I  did eventually survive it and I bet she probably can't even sew.   :-D

YD

Lantana

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 22:48:24 PM »
Quilting/patchwork is not my thing, but Lantana your quilt is lovely.  You was robbed.  :)

I wish it was my quilt UttaRetch but it was Yankee Doodle's!  :)

:vintage:

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »
Thanks, UttaRetch

YD

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:33:08 AM »
Fabulous.  I think I'll go and sit in a dark cupboard with my attempts.
Life's too short for ironing.

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
Come out of the cupboard, Ploshkin!!  I saw the pattern for that quilt in a magazine and held onto it for years befire I built up the nerve to start it.  Then I just focused on one little bit of instructions at a time and tried to enjoy the process.   If you want to do it, you can!  And whether you do or don't, still come out of the cupboard!!

YD

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »
Fabulous.  I think I'll go and sit in a dark cupboard with my attempts.

Haha, move over Ploshkin and make room for me in the cupboard to!!

What a beautiful quilt Yankee Doodle!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 11:29:17 AM »
My goodness, I'd have given it a prize. It is stunning!

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »
Wow!  You did an amazing job there  0_0  My first quilt, when I get to do one, will definitely not turn out that well.  Amazing work congrats  :toast:
Willing but not always able :)

Yankee Doodle

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »
Thanks, all.

Wow!  You did an amazing job there  0_0  My first quilt, when I get to do one, will definitely not turn out that well.  Amazing work congrats  :toast:

Lilian, start small and just enjoy it!

:-)

YD

Lantana

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »

Most were very good but one woman closely inspected all the stitching and said loudly, "this one's a trainwreck!".

The fact that she needed to say that in such a loud voice says far far far more about her than you! I'm sorry it hurt you so much at the time but I think we all have a tendancy to focus on the negative comments as we know we really did want to do it better.

Anyway you got over it which is the main thing but has she got over her need to be so loudly negative? The thing is if I see a quilt which I feel hasn't been done as well as it might (rare but it has happened) I take quiet encouragement from it. 'See Lantana it's not perfect but still a thing of beauty and joy .... now go home and finish something'!

I'm pretty sure that a great many more people loved your quilt than found fault with it.  <3

Lx

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »
It's lovely... and she was rude!!!
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 18:49:46 PM »
Simply stunning!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again