The Sewing Place

Arrivals Lounge

Quinkish

Arrivals Lounge
« on: March 01, 2017, 16:11:50 PM »
Here I come, dazed and confused after a bumpy flight from TSF Land. Glad to be here.

Currently working on a purple jersey dress with Alabama Chanin style embroidery. Also, cut out and awaiting stitching, a 1920s "1 hour dress" which is an experiment and destined to be lounging wear (future iterations will be glorious and intended for public consumption).

Rachel

rowe1311

Re: Arrivals Lounge
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 20:14:00 PM »
I am just starting to add some Alabama Chanin embroidery to a jersey dress too, so would love to see how you are getting on with it.  It is my first attempt at hand embroidery since school days so I hope I have the perseverance for it. 

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 21:35:26 PM »
Please be sure to post pics of your Alabama Chanin stuff - it's been on my to do list for some time
Life's too short for ironing.

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 19:19:05 PM »
A quick question for you Rachel (Quinkish).  With your Alabama Chanin, are you hand stitching, or machine sewing?  In the book they seem to strongly recommend their own thread for strength.  What thread are you using? 

I am going to attempt the corset but, I am worried as it will be a tight fit, machine thread might not be strong enough, so I am going to hand feel the seam afterwards for added strength, but don't know what thread to buy here in the UK.

Angela

Quinkish

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 22:40:13 PM »
Hi Angela

My dress is quite a dark purple jersey and I bought a moss green T-shirt in a charity shop which I cut up and am doing reverse applique. I have seen this style of embroidery done on Alabama Chanin clothes but I am not following a pattern from her book.

The embroidery is simple running stitch (which is not yet very regular - I hope that will improve as I go along) and I am doing it in 3 strands of embroidery thread. Also, considering whether to add some beads/sequins inside the green shapes - or even scattered about! It's early days for this project and, as you can tell, I'm not following A.C. exactly; just got inspired by her style.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »
Glad you found us - are you over the jet lag yet? It has been bumpy hasn't it!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

rowe1311

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 19:33:09 PM »
I don't think I will be follow her methods to the letter but use it as inspiration too.  I had a go at reverse appliqué on a dress with embroidery thread but I didn't use the same weight fabric so it didn't sit too well, and haven't worn it much, but I still aspire to do better next time as I really like the look. 

With the corset I am a bit worried whether embroidery thread might not have the strength.  I will have a look around and see if I can find an equivalent strength thread here in the UK.  Thanks for getting back to me and I look forward to seeing the dress when it is done.