The Sewing Place

BrendaP's Stash Sewalong Entry

Francesca

BrendaP's Stash Sewalong Entry
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »
Number of items to enter: 3

A bit of info:
Nightdress: made from dark blue single jersey fabric purchased from TP Fabrics in Warrington in September 2015.  Simplicity 3696, which came out quite long but I like my nighties long :)  This one was just run up on the overlocker with red cover stitching on the hems.  Did my own thing on the sleeves as there wasn’t quite enough fabric to cut them full length.

Tee shirt: made with remnants of three fabrics.  The floral has only been in stash about 3 months, the two plains have been there for ages. I used McCalls 7357 but had a little panic whilst cutting out.  Like Matt in the last GBSB I lost one of the pattern pieces! Fortunately it was a small piece, the front yoke.  From the main front piece (for the width) and the front neck band (for the length) piece I was able to more or less reproduce it, but lots of other things went wrong too: 
I Managed to snip into the neckband so had to recut it. Bottom of neckband wouldn't lie properly so I ended up appliquéing the tab instead of using it to bind the ends. Neckband was obscenely low, had to stitch it closed for several inches and it still shows a camisole underneath.

Bra and Knickers: Mint green lycra has been in the stash for a year or so along with some pink and green lace, green strap elastic and various bits and bobs including the hardware. Had to order the plush elastic recently and although it's too blue that shouldn't matter as only the loops will show on the right side, likewise the channelling. Couldn't get any strong power-mesh in the right colour so I've cut the wings double and I've underlined the cups and frame pieces. Bra is Marlborough from Orange Lingerie and knickers are Esme from Evie la Luve. Used 0.75 m lycra, a length of lace, 1m bra strap elastic and bits and bobs of hardware from stash, I needed to buy the other elastics.

Blouse: Poly satin bought at Knitting and Stitching in 2015; chosen for the colours rather than the fabric!  I used New Look 6808, but inspired by a thread on TSP I drafted my own bell shaped cuffs instead of the fiddly faced and slashed cuff of the pattern.  Now that it’s finished I think I should have made the cuffs more flared, but I am pleased with the overall result.

Dress: This is made from fabric I can’t remember buying! although it might have come from Knitting and Stitching along with the poly satin above.  This is a polyester jersey with quite a lot of stretch and I used Vogue 9199.  View A but a bit longer and with the long sleeves.  The instructions said something about purchased bias binding for the neckline, but I cut a 2" wide crossways strip (stretch direction) and sewed it like a tee-shirt neck.  Another very easy pattern to make with the overlocker, so easy that I nearly forgot to take an in-progress photo, it was on a hanger with only the hems to do when I remembered.

Number of metres used: 9.25m

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 19:42:15 PM by Francesca »