The Sewing Place

Posh dossy?

Efemera

Posh dossy?
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:32:11 AM »
Posh dossy.. those are the kind of clothes I need to make. The kind of lounge about comfy stuff that you wouldn't be ashamed to answer the door in or take the bins out...a bit more dressy than joggy bottoms and a raggy  Tshirt. What do other folks wear?

Ploshkin

Re: Posh dossy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
I'm afraid anyone who comes to my door is used to my Worzel Gummidge look by now.  I wear whatever isn't languishing in the overflowing laundry basket.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:55:10 AM »

My dressing gown made from McCalls 6891.  I have answered the door and been out to the street wearing it.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »
Jim jams scruffs I'm afraid, mismatched, tatty and not suitable for answering the door.  I do though, as I don't care.  Anyone coming to my door unexpectedly gets what they deserve!
I once answered the door to a courier with a pair of the wife's knickers on my head.  Don't ask. :devil:
C'est moi!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
I got rid of all my "scruffy " clothes as I found that since being at home I hardly wore my decent stuff.
I don't have anything I wouldn't wear to Sainsbury's and be ashamed of meeting someone I knew. Likewise I now wear makeup and perfume every day....I found I was letting myself go on days when I wasn't leaving the house ( my Mum did this and it was such a shame cos when she died she had oodles of unworn stuff and yet she lived in the same 2 T shirts and trousers )
I do feel better for it....and.....I do have a pair of overtrousers and an outsize jumper which I wear over my clothes if I'm doing anything messy in the garden ( they are kept in the greenhouse so I'm not tempted to "slob out" )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »
I got rid of all my "scruffy " clothes as I found that since being at home I hardly wore my decent stuff. ... Likewise I now wear makeup and perfume every day....I found I was letting myself go on days when I wasn't leaving the house

It's very easy when you no longer have a reason to even get out of bed to slob about, so having a routine is good discipline says she who is still siting around in her dressing gown, although it is a glam one.  ;)

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »
 :D :D I must admit I'm not dressed yet as I'm off to have a bath.....back later  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »
my Mum did this and it was such a shame cos when she died she had oodles of unworn stuff and yet she lived in the same 2 T shirts and trousers )

My mum did the same, regularly had holes in her tights as well.  Even now if the cat makes a hole or I do, I get "you're getting like your mother".

So I do sort of smart casual all the time, never wear slippers (apart from winter when I have some great sheepskin ones for evenings).  What I don't do is like a friend of mine, turn up at the front door in high heels.  Another acquaintance always wears a kaftan. 

I don't think it matters what you wear as long as it's clean, your comfortable and doesn't have your dinner down the front (or wine stains).

That dressing gown is ace, although I rather see myself in white virginal short lace. :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
I try to wear tidy stuff but what is more important at the moment is that bits and threads don't stick and move through the house with me. Barefoot most of the time. I do get rid of scruffy stuff and I keep my brown stuff for gardening and such like ( Promised myself no more brown or beige but gotta wear the stuff occasionally - so gardening it is!)

Always get showered and dressed before breakfast  because I sleep in the nuddy probably wise move to get dressed before anyone has a chance to come to the door!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Didi

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 15:19:27 PM »
I am normally to be found in jeggings and long tops or pull on trousers. Most of my clothes are casual I posses a few more formal pairs of trousers, dresses and jackets but because I wear a uniform for work I've never really had a separate work wardrobe

Sewingsue

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 15:53:54 PM »
I got rid of all my "scruffy " clothes as I found that since being at home I hardly wore my decent stuff.
I don't have anything I wouldn't wear to Sainsbury's and be ashamed of meeting someone I knew. Likewise I now wear makeup and perfume every day....I found I was letting myself go on days when I wasn't leaving the house
I do always shower and dress first thing, but I know what you mean about wearing 'scruffy' when you are not going out.
I realise that even when I have dressed for going into town I notice other people and think 'why didn't you put on earrings or add a scarf? You could have made more of an effort'.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

maliw

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 16:05:01 PM »
In the warmer weather I wear a pair of elasticated waisted trousers and a t-shirt at home. The ones I'm wearing at the moment have been so well worn that the pattern is coming off at the knees. The pattern is years old and I've made so many pairs that I've lost count. They are made in lightweight fabric so are comfy. The pattern also came with a simple top and I've made these too to go with some of the trousers. They are great for holidays as I can mix'n match with other things especially in the evenings. A few months ago I mislaid said pattern and sewing room was turned upside down until it was found, the first thing I did was trace off a pattern for the trousers. Going out during the day I usually wear jeans so most of my 'posh' stuff has gone now I'm retired.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 17:52:37 PM »
Whether it's silly o'clock or lie-in o'clock I wake myself up by getting under the shower and then dressed (properly) and I stay dressed until I go to bed so I rarely wear a dressing gown.

I don't have anything I wouldn't wear to Sainsbury's and be ashamed of meeting someone I knew.

I have most of my groceries delivered so don't often do the supermarket thing, but certainly around the local shops I've often seen girls/young women wearing PJs and fluffy slippers :o  To me that's worse than scruffy jeans and a tee shirt. 

I agree with Low - if you have nice clothes - wear them :flower:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 23:13:40 PM »
Love this thread as this is exactly what I'm trying to plan right now.

I'm trying to plan an "athleisure" wardrobe. That is, athletic gear that is styled in just such a way that you don't quite look like you're leaving the gym. A bit of a mixture.

What about this Style Arc bundle for a start?

I am thinking dark charcoal for the bottoms, forest green slinky jersey for the tee and then another shade of grey for the knitted jumper.

I get in from work and immediately get in my jim jams. And some weekends I wake up, put on PJ bottoms (I can't wear things round my waist in bed so I usually just wear oversized t-shirts or shirts) then have to get dressed into jeans just to go to the supermarket, then home and straight back in the PJs for the rest of the day!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 23:15:49 PM by Francesca »

Holly Berry

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 23:43:12 PM »
I'm mostly to be found in dog walking attire. I take the dogs out first thing, so put on my walking trousers and fleece top and then stay in that all day, unless I'm going out.
Procrastination get behind me