The Sewing Place

Me and colours again.

wrenkins

Re: Me and colours again.
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2020, 19:52:07 PM »
I've used it with groups of different colours and just didn't get it. As you say the physics doesn't make sense. These are all deep blue through to pale aqua and everything in between so it worked quite well I think for darker and lighter. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.  8)
Thank you @BrendaP.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 21:05:10 PM »
@wrenkins

Here, to back up my theory that the ruby colour viewer is a load of toot only does part of the job, here are four photos of my computer screen showing exactly the same image each time.  One is unfiltered, one has a red filter, one a blue filter and the other a green filter placed in front of the screen.  As you can clearly see each filter darkens and blocks out the colours opposite to it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Using a red filter makes blues and greens look dark.
Using a green filter makes reds and purples look dark.
Using a blue filter makes reds and oranges look dark.

The best way to grade lights and darks is to get a black and white photo, most photo editing programs can do that.  But be aware that yellow is much lighter than blue and purple, as the screenshot (sans filters) of the B&W version of the same image shows.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bjay

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2020, 17:36:57 PM »
Really enjoying these lessons on how to colour match  by using black and white filters.
Very interesting and informative
Thanks  :thumbsup:
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

wrenkins

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2020, 19:26:57 PM »
These are my doins. As you can see number 15 got hoofed to out past number 21 on the darkness scale.

Some may get ditched along the way and there are little sparks of orange/yellow/pink to go in. I just wish I would start.
Seven groups of four fabrics. Group 1:- 1-4, Group 2 :-5-8...
Six blocks across and five (giant) blocks down so....
Row one will have.. 1&2 with a smidge of three coming in.
Row two................2&3 .......................four
Row three............. 3&4 .......................five
Row three............  4&5........................six
Row four................5&6.........................seven
If I don't write it here I'll never understand the scribbles in my notebook.  :S
These are not rules but guides so here's hoping. I'm going to need a design wall floor
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2020, 21:51:28 PM »
you need more darks
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2020, 22:07:45 PM »
Not necessarily, some of the mids are quite dense. It depends on the effect you want.
I'm doing a quilt at the moment which is about 85% pale colours, with a pop of bright or dark here and there.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2020, 22:17:14 PM »
I have another couple of darks on stand-by. I thought I was doing well getting that much variation kinsidrin I was going to do it all the same colour last week.  :faints:

BrendaP

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2020, 23:31:14 PM »
I don't think I would add any more darks , but possibly more of the mid range if you have any.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2020, 07:43:44 AM »
Listen to The Goddess of Colour , Wrenkies
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 08:14:59 AM »
This is fast becoming a labour of  <3.
Oar boy had better appreciate it or I'll pull one of his rowlocks off and hit him with it.  :S
BTW for anyone who wants to jump ship (I didn't even do that on purpose!), farmer boy is next!  :laughing: