The Sewing Place

Jacket or not

Manuela

Re: Jacket or not
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 08:57:54 AM »
@Greybird, that was me. I had a dispute with the pattern designer about it. She argued that it would be possible to shrink/shape 7cm of excess fabric across a pattern piece that was less than 30cm wide. That happened a number of years ago on the Stitcher’s Guild - in the old forum, before the ‘incident’.. The last we heard from her in the thread was that she is not supposed to discuss her patterns on an internet forum  :laughing:
The pattern is not bad, but the steam shrinking/shaping step across the back needs to be omitted. The shaping can be done easily at the seams.

Greybird

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
Thank you @Manuela - I knew it was something like that. I am relieved to know that my memory isn't always letting me down!

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 10:02:26 AM »
As things currently stand there will not be much movement on this project until October, although I have ordered the lining.

Thanks for the tip on stay tape @Manuela I have roll of it that will do nicely.

I shall have to content myself with gathering information and looking at videos.   I watched one last night that made it look so easy, although she did use metal furrier hooks.  Another one used a buttonhole machine.  Trouble is sometimes if you watch too much you frighten yourself to death. Better to just go for it, which is more my style.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Manuela

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
@Gernella, don’t worry too much about the buttonholes. If you don’t want to make hand worked ones, machine made keyhole buttonholes* will do just fine. I’m not a fan of contrast linings in Chanel style jackets, hence I didn’t see the need to do the buttonholes according to the instructions - I also find there rather ugly. I made my jackets with plain handworked buttonholes, they almost disappear in the boucle.

* I personally find 4-step buttonholes appalling in jackets and coats. Then again, others are happy with them  ;)

Gernella

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »
I was going to make them @Manuela I don't fancy my machine on this fabric for buttonholes,it can get snooty with 'good' fabric. I don't really have a problem with them although I have got lazy. Occasionally when I've had a duff one with the machine, rather than pull it out I've usually finished it off by hand.  In any case I think these will disappear into the fabric.

I've also made another purchase.  Size 18 for this freaks me out.  The last time I went for a size 18 in Vogue was for a dress and I was climbing up to 12 stone.  I finished up having to cut big chunks out of the sides to get it to fit.  Now I'm around 10st 8.  I also have narrow shoulders and short arms (so the short sleeves should fit me nicely).  So I've  decided to make a toile for the body first.  That should take some worrying out of equation.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included