The Sewing Place

Syrinx's Box Pleat Mask Tutorial

Acorn

Syrinx's Box Pleat Mask Tutorial
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
I can't remember who asked but I've made a wee tutorial for one of the facemasks I make. It's a super easy, great fitting mask. The only thing I dislike about it is how much fabric it uses, but then I'm a darksider!

Box pleat mask

I've made a few of these now and they work really well, very comfortable, no fogging of glasses and once you've tied them to fit you don't really have to until them as it slides along the ties so well. The one in the tutorial uses ribbon which is all I had on hand to suit the fabric!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

Re: Syrinx's Box Pleat Mask Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 17:04:58 PM »
There are no dimensions or instructions.
What goes around comes around.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 17:09:03 PM »
Click on each photo image for written caption, which contains size info and instructions  - hope that helps

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 17:56:31 PM »
 :thumbsup:

If you prefer you can click on the 'i' symbol over on the right and you'll get a panel on the side of the screen with the instructions in it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 19:49:42 PM »
Okay, thanks.
What goes around comes around.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 20:15:23 PM »
Great tutorial @Syrinx I've been making similar masks. DH prefers two pairs of ties but I like elastic going right round the head at the top and ties at the bottom. I've done a few with elastic round the ears for visits to the haidresser. I've also sewn in nose bridges - these are little bendy strips like freezer bag ties.... in fact you could probably use bag ties.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Syrinx

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 20:52:21 PM »
I do a selection of different tie types. My dad loves elastic over the crown and ties back of neck. Pain for me to sew the two together! Or full elastic. I refuse to do the ears elastic for a number of reasons and personally prefer ties in a loop like in the tutorial because once it's been tied to the right length I don't have to undo it! Just slide it on.

This and the shaped masks are the two I've settled on.

I have flexible metal nose strips which are great. Love sewing them in, they're strong but soft at the same time. My corsetry supplier gets them in!