The Sewing Place

Can we develop the darkside

wrenkins

Re: Can we develop the darkside
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »
Why yes you can. Garment or accessory for this challenge @Lowena so knock yourself out! (Not literally!).  :faints:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2020, 10:18:46 AM »
 :dance: :dance:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2020, 10:36:56 AM »
Might give me a kick to make up my old jeans into bags. Like I've been planning on doing for ages. Or perhaps a skirt. To be honest, I've got enough for both  :S

So Looks like I'll be working on an FMQ and FPP set of BOMS for next year. FMQ probably a sampler style quilt top/cushions.  And FPP needs a theme so I can find/create blocks that go together - maybe some more curvy or intricate designs.

wrenkins

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »
@Syrinx I have a pink cord charity shop skirt bought specifically for the purpose of making a bag. I keep looking at it and putting it back in the bag as I don't know where to start. Maybe October's the month!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
Stepping in for a moment. Prime example of Quilt Police
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2020, 10:59:53 AM »
@wrenkins Skirts are brilliant for turning into bags - I bought a denim mini skirt, complete with pockets, made it into a bag and have used it to death.

@Lowena You're making me think about all the blocks from a previous BOM that are hanging on the back of my sewing room door, and the fact that I have several machines that need covers...  :thinking:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Syrinx

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »
If that's aimed at me, I'm sorry. But if you are selling a pattern and a ruler to make specific things and the result from the designer is messy, then it's a bad pattern. I have no problem with wonky points (do plenty myself!) or mismatched squares because I know that I did it and could have spent a tonne of time making it perfect but I didn't. What annoys me if professional patterns that would be impossible for anyone to get sharp points on - they are setting people up for failure.

I love a bit of mismatch to be honest, shows the hard work that has gone into it. But it's like some of the pattern photos where the dress or coat or trousers look like someone hacked it about and didn't iron the fabric, haven't taken care over the match etc or the pattern pieces not actually mfitting together well at all - showcasing a professional pattern that people pay for is an entirely different matter to viewing people's work. I'd be livid if I bought a pattern to make pieced curves (I'd FPP) and the result was a mess of mismatched points and uneven blocks and then looking at the designer's example it was the same.

Efemera

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2020, 13:23:34 PM »
While I do agree with some of what you say @Syrinx, I’ll be the first to point out bad workmanship on a professional site, the purpose of the link was the modern patterns not the crap sewing.

Syrinx

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2020, 14:08:31 PM »
True, and I liked the patterns at distance, but don't trust that they are actually going to give the result of neat points even if I did everything perfectly. Modern quilting patterns are a delight, but the lack of up close pictures made me very dubious, so I watched the video and was disheartened. Professional stuff should work nicely without having to mess about with them. Like that WIP that Lowena has put aside - if you pay for a pattern that has mistakes in, that's unnaccpetable in my eyes. Regardless of how brilliant the concept.

Celia

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2020, 09:54:58 AM »
Just thought it might be interesting to someone, I have just finished making my son a birthday card, what has that to do with quilting you say?
I found a piece of fabric with a tardis on it, he loves Doctor Who, I then fussy cut it to fit in an aperture card, backed the fabric with wading and quilted around the tardis, then struck it in the card.
It is not perfect but I enjoyed doing it and am now thinking of doing the same thing with Christmas fabric, for cards.

Pearl

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2020, 10:00:53 AM »
Oooh, that sounds interesting, @Celia .  You know what I’m going to ask.  Do you have a pic?

wrenkins

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2020, 10:14:57 AM »
Yes. Come on @Celia. Let's have a look then.  8) noseyparkeremoji

Celia

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
Ok I have tried photographing it but it looks too flat, I think it gives you the idea.  It actually looks better in real life.

wrenkins

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2020, 10:34:50 AM »
That's a brilliant idea and the fabric is perfect for scale. He'll love it.  :loveit: