The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020

Acorn

Re: The Sewing Place's Refashion and Repurpose Competition 2020
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2020, 08:40:51 AM »
Wow!  That is amazing!!  :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2020, 08:55:44 AM »
I am going to stop procrastinating on this and put it together today ...

Yes there are only two shirts I havent massacredused ... they were an orange check that I never ever liked (mind you I never liked the tiny gingham checked ones either) and an orange faded on purpose patterned one that I adore and would never hack to bits cut up.

Album

Isnt it amazing that I put a call out for striped fabric for the 2020 quilt, when I had loads already, I just didnt know it !!!  0_0

Loving that jacket @Morzel  ... especially the seam detail on the collar ... Wish I could make something useful like that!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:59:12 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
@Morzel I really like that jacket. Now, will he miss his jeans if I nick them?.....
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2020, 11:46:24 AM »
@Morzel I really like that jacket. Now, will he miss his jeans if I nick them?.....

No!   0_0

snoozi soozi

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2020, 08:28:32 AM »
I've been making good progress on my makes, nearly got the jacket finished, but my tablet died a couple of days ago, (it has my starting pic of the duvet cover and pillowcases on it) and I don't know if it can be revived. If not my chances of entering are severely scuppered  :(

The OH retrieved this laptop from his workshop, SS2 left it here as a spare but it doesn't have a camera and I might have to wait until Santa does his rounds before I can get going again.

Hopefully something will work in my favour  :thinking:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2020, 13:34:39 PM »
I know its late to comment on this...
doing rough tucks does work, but might throw the balance off the skirt shape. I think I would have sewn this in a cheap fabric, then tucked a few times across the width as to get the shape right (where do I want this 'poking-outward-piece' to sit, do I want the length taken off more below that widest part or more above it etc.), sew those tucks down and then cut the skirt apart at the seams. Anyway, you have to measure all the seamlines carefully (and take the seamallowances into account) to make sure they are the same length.
I am looking very much forward to a shortened version of this skirt!

Thank you! That’s exactly what I’d been thinking to do. I was calling them “rough” tucks so no one thought they’d be so randomly placed in the end. I’m glad you’re in agreement with how to do it all. I pinned those bits together and did a quick tissue fit and was happy with the length, then pressed them back out and tucked and measured the seams properly. I’ve just cut out all the fabric (eek!) so there’s no going back now. No need for cheap fabric toiles as this is already cheap. If it all fails, well, it was wasted as a skirt I’d never have worn in the first place. I’m in the middle of sewing something very orange right now but as soon as I can get cream thread back into the machine I’ll be trying the skirt.

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2020, 17:46:04 PM »
Today’s progress: pattern pieces all folded neatly into shape, and new pieces of fabric cut out. I’m suddenly worried it’ll all be too small haha.

Lachica

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2020, 18:48:48 PM »
Lachica's entry
 ingredients: simplicity K1613 which I made in early September out of cotton Lycra jersey which was too thick for the pattern.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  which looked ok ISH until after it was washed, when the thick bits at the front looked awful.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I used simplicity 1435 age 4 leggings pattern & got one leg out of the back   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   and the other just squeezed out of the leftover fabric.
I based the dress on S1435 but cut the front along princess style lines to make side pieces. These were cut out of the front of my top. Flowered fabric was a half metre remnant from a FB stash clearance. (To be continued)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:36:25 AM by Iminei »
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2020, 18:55:52 PM »
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  the side pieces were cut in 2 as there wasn't enough length to cut them in one. I bound the top edge of the pockets with flower fabric.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 20:18:16 PM by Lachica »
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2020, 21:07:04 PM »
The leggings are very simple, so I added flowers on the lower legs. 4 cm squares, folded into 8 then the corners rounded off. Snipped a tiny bit out of the centre, gathered up with a sequin in the middle. The idea was good but they keep rolling up so more of the back shows. I'll take them off.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  msg=203277]
Mary

Iminei

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
Gor Blimey! Thats Big! Said the Actress to the Bishop

Spoiler: show

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
Aother invisibubble piccie from @Iminei  Is that what's clogging the forum up today?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2020, 12:42:44 PM »
No - that's our crappy webhosts, helped along by our members uploading massive images.  Iminei's is an invisible linked image so although it might possibly make this thread take longer to load, it has no effect on the forum's speed overall.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2020, 17:58:40 PM »
@Lachica well done! The 4 year old will love it! (Mine would too... :thumbsup:) Did you ever try that Simplicity top again? It’s a cool neckline!

Lachica

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2020, 20:14:16 PM »
@cakeymcdoodle I hope she'll like it! I will make that top again as I really like the neckline, but it needs a nice drapey viscose jersey.

@Acorn I'm sorry if my photos have jiggered the site. Should I delete them?
Mary