The Sewing Place

Thursday 24th September 2020

BrendaP

Re: Thursday 24th September 2020
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »
Sunshine and showers here.

I too have downloaded the NHS App and have a family history talk on zoom this afternoon, other than that ....
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 10:19:23 AM »
Good morning, brrrrr it's chilly out there.
Just in from delivering some things for SiL's birthday tomorrow, DGS looked fine after yesterdays trauma of upset stomach. We spoke to them through the front door but he seemed ok with that.
We have DGD2 later today as she can't go to DD but not 'till she has had a morning nap sleep.
Nothing else planned.
Have a good day.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

hernibs

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »
Morning all - dull here and cold - warm wool jumpers needed.
Not a lot planned - someone collecting a card later.
Have to iron a bit - more cards to start but waiting on more details.
Have a good day all - glad we don't have all the rain you folks are talking about.

Silver Rose

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2020, 10:46:58 AM »
@Gernella , we swim at a pool which is part of a children's centre which has ballet, gymnastics and swimming clubs. Over the summer and at the moment they are hiring the pool out for adults and families so we two have an hour in the pool to ourselves which is bliss. It is not a large pool and there is a lifeguard on duty. Haven't swum in the sea in the UK for many years, much too cold. It helps my arthritis and cheers me up no end.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 11:11:47 AM »
Hi all.  We had a deluge here overnight.  Woke up to the patio swimming in water.  However the sun is now out and it's breezy but chilly.  I have four lengths of fabric out on the line which I hope will eventually get dry.  I've been quite productive this morning; have altered a pattern quite considerably to fit DD (I hope).  Just need the fabric to dry properly so I can cut it out now. I suppose I'll have to cut out some more dreaded masks for her while I'm doing that :(

While I'm waiting I've made a batch of tomato sauce from DH's bounty; there's been barely any on the vines this year but I don't think he obeys the Rules about growing tomatoes so they can't struggle through the mass of leaves he leaves on the stems.  (I dunno what I'm talking about either.  Just think someone told me that sometime).  I'm also stewing a pot of autumn fruits for our breakfasts and waiting for the washing machine to do its stuff.  Yawn.  I'm tired out now.

Have a good afternoon, everyone xx

Missie

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
there's been barely any on the vines this year but I don't think he obeys the Rules about growing tomatoes so they can't struggle through the mass of leaves he leaves on the stems.  (I dunno what I'm talking about either.  Just think someone told me that sometime).

I've grown tomatoes for the first time this year and I've had a good crop, considering my soil is rubbish (its been covered up with a weed sheet for years as it was the children's play area).  Not rubbing it in @Nevis5 but just to concur that apparently you should remove leaves when there are fruits so that the sun gets to them to ripen them, according to my gardener.  Not sure how that applies if you don't have much fruit though (total novice here  0_0)
A measly 2.5m of stash used so far!

Elnnina

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »
Maybe this is a silly question but those of you who have downloaded the Track and Trace App how have you done this?  Is it to your mobile or your laptop?

My go to friend for helping me on this is Twopence and as she is away on holiday I cannot ask her directly for her help - bet she is reading this too!!!  I always seem to get into such a muddle whenever I have tried downloading something or other, and this particular one I think is essential.  I suppose I could also wait until she returns from her hols, and I am not going out anywhere in between times.  I fall into the vulnerable group being both Diabetic and rather prone to pneumonia and again age is against me!!

LeilaMay

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 12:40:40 PM »
Sunny, cloudy, breezy but no rain. Looks like a good start to the day here. Walked into town for the first time (for me) going out amongst people for a while. Looked at two vintage machines in two charity shops for friends who work there. One is a nice condition 28K from 1902 - coffin box case and some of the original attachments. They will keep it for when it can be put out for sale - right now they have to wipe everything over with some gruesome stuff every day - orders from head office - so it's not suitable for that.
Second one is a 99K but not working - might just need a quick sort out, so we will pick it up by car and I'll see if I can sort it and then it can go on sale. No wiping stuff in their shop so it will be fine.

Bought some fancy edging for a sewing basket I am repairing, picked up a prescription, and treated ourselves to a cake, eaten once safely home, with a nice coffee.  That all counts as most exciting for me! Now to start cutting out for the second Yule gift quit I'm making.

Wishing everyone healthy and peaceful days
Leila

Efemera

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »
My tomatoes were a disaster....would have been cheaper buying them!

Lowena

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »
@Elnnina straight to my smartphone. Open your apps and where it says search put in NHS track and trace. It will then ask the first part of your postcode and then you can download it.
Took me less than 3 minutes
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sewingsue

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2020, 12:51:19 PM »
Walked across to the post office to return an item and picked up some food while I was there.
It's much chillier today.
Got an email with invoice for C/H service yesterday but didn't see it till I was about to switch off the pc so decided to leave it till today.
Flaming internet (or my pc, or both) on a go slow and I really don't like using the iPad for finances.
I never feel as comfortable without screen and keyboard. Plus I can't print from iPad.

Still plenty of other things to do.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bjay

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 12:56:05 PM »
Hiya
After a dradful day yesterday trying to sort out a flat fr  bIL - he needs sheltered accomodation and we have to travel up to Staffs
We are talking it easy. I have had strong words with BIL, pointed out we can't keep doing the journet as OH is vulnerable. Hoping it's sunk in
Had a Chi Kung zoom thos morning, always takes away the stress
 I am going to  buy thread and another storage box and some odds and ends up the town, time to myself

Much colder here today with inermittent heavy showers

Talking of colder i've noticed posts in the TSP are becoming much more seasonal!
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2020, 13:01:29 PM »
Weather today is awful.  Had some sunshine first thing while we did the housework.  Then decided to go for a walk round the village.  Just got back as the heavens opened!  Bit damp but ok.  Sat down for coffee, almost needed to put lights on it was so dark.  And then a hale storm.  Just need some snow and we'll have had the lot!  Of course the window cleaner came this morning so I blame him! :)

It’s not very warm here so I’m thinking a pot of soup might be a good idea.  I do have some in the freezer and I guess I could always add something to it. 

Rest of the day will be spent in the sewing room I guess.  Will have to have dinner fairly early as DH has Rock Choir tonight. I forgot last night so he's had to change days.  I suppose it would be too much to ask him to remind me.  :thinking:

Acorn

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 13:02:33 PM »
I think it's April here today!   We woke up to a rainbow that stayed for at least half an hour.  Since then we've had heavy rain showers and bright sunshine.  Currently we have blue sky and sunshine on one side and threatening black clouds on the other.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 13:54:48 PM »
Turns out my new boiler is not working.  I can get hot water, but no heat in the radiators.  The fitter came around yesterday and concluded that the boiler is faulty.

I have now finished tracing off the pattern and will start on laying out and cutting the fabric tomorrow.  There is an awful lot to wrangle and suddenly a 121cm x 182cm table doesn't seem big enough.
What goes around comes around.