The Sewing Place

Binding Width

rubywishes

Re: Binding Width
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 06:05:28 AM »

The only caveat there is making sure the thread you use doesnt interfere with the other side ...
It will show and can look nice but If you are sewing a black binding down onto a white quilt (for instance)  unless you highlight the line of stitching as a decorative aspect it wouldnt look too good and in those cases I handsew.

@Iminei  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Oh Im, you make me laugh! I just read this post and must tell you......I just finished sewing a binding onto my wall hanging using a burgundy thread to match the binding as like you, I use a reverse blanket stitch on the front. Well wouldn't you know it, whilst basking in the warm and fuzzy afterglow one feels when completing a project I realised to my horror that I had forgotten to change my burbundy bobbin thread to cream like my backing and yes, you're right...it looks appalling on the light colored backing...absolutely "pig ugly" as we say over here across the sea! Thank heavens for 3 things: (1) It's a wall hanging so the back will never be seen, (2) I have a good sense of humour, and (3) there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that all that little blanket stitching would ever unpick without damaging my fabric.........so there it will stay in all its glory!

Lesson learnt........Check my flipping bobbin thread, pay attention and stop distracting myself by singing lustily along to loud music of days gone by and dreaming of "what ifs"!! :laughing:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 06:07:05 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

mudcat

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 09:39:55 AM »
Do one of you have a close-up of the stitch you use?  I used the blanket stitch on some flannel pet quilts I made a few years ago but they don't have bindings ... instead they are wrong side together, turned out and stitched.  They are utility blankets.  But I think I might like to do this stitch in the future so the back looks better.  I tend to make my binding wider so it is caught when stitching from the front. 

Thanks

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »
This is the machine blanket stitch ... stitched from the back ... on my recent Shirt quilt

Front

Reverse

So the stitch will show but often it doesnt notice and sometimes you can make a feature of it

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again