The Sewing Place

Help with Burda instructions please!

Maeve

Help with Burda instructions please!
« on: November 07, 2020, 12:52:36 PM »
Hi, I am stuck on Viscose Dress 117 | 04/17 and would really appreciate help. I am stuck on the middle part of the second paragraph. I don't understand: "baste facing to remaining upper and side edges..." could anyone please break down exactly what is meant by this?
I also have difficulty understanding from the part of the instructions that read :"stitch together along the upper edge from point to point..." I stitched the facing to the skirt back, but may have done so incorrectly as I stitched it across all the way. What does "from point to point" refer to? I am now stuck as I can't see how to attach the back top to the skirt back.

Efemera

Re: Help with Burda instructions please!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »
Pictures would help if you can.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 13:07:17 PM »
Perhaps point to point means between the seam allowances ( thus leaving the seam allowance free)  and not sewn from edge to edge?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 14:09:31 PM »

Details here.

Basting is a temporary stitch and designed to be removed.  If you could scan a picture of the instructions, it might make more sense to us. 

Personally, I can't get along with Burda but have encountered a McCall's pattern from hell, I might be revisiting Burda.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 14:11:11 PM by UttaRetch »

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 20:27:57 PM »
Does the instruction to stitch from ' point to point' refer to the 2 points at the top of the back skirt? As others have said, scan  the instructions & line drawing in & someone will be able to help.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 21:52:55 PM »
My guess is that the back section of the skirt has a point either side of the centre 'v' and this is what they are referring to. It looks as though it will have a facing. As the other comments say, it's hard to help without sight of the instructions; I don't have this issue of Burda, so I can't look at the pattern and I'm not sure what you're referring to for the 'remaining upper and side edges'. It could be the neckline, but it's not clear.

One thing that helps a lot with the magazine patterns is to take note of the numbers they put at important points; these are indicated on the line drawing in the instructions as well as on the pattern pieces themselves. There are always two of each number and these show which bits to join together.