The Sewing Place

Sewing Place Inaugural Boom - sign ups!

RJR_38

Re: Sewing Place Inaugural Boom - sign ups!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 18:08:55 PM »
I’m in and I may have chosen my fabric!

Ooh post a pic pearl! I had better start getting the photo albums ready!

Pearl

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2021, 19:06:48 PM »
Ooh post a pic pearl! I had better start getting the photo albums ready!

I bought 0.5m at the weekend and have messaged the shop to ask for another 1m.  If they have it, I’ll be going with this.

fajita

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2021, 19:25:02 PM »
I don’t often buy fabrics in more than one metre lengths, unless they are being used for specific purposes. I might need to shop.

In fact @TartanPaint should have some fabric for sale, somewhere. Maybe he could link. 

RJR_38

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 20:04:03 PM »
Pearl that is a gorgeous Batik - I hope you can get more as I can already think of some lovely blocks..

@fajita don't try and blame me for your need to shop

whofilets

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 22:32:28 PM »
I'm in!!!

1. Would you take venmo or paypal for the £6 of postage both ways? you can say no!
2. I've literally never sent anything within the UK before other than the pre-stamped envelopes to a government department. How exciting that my first mail I'm sending will be for quilting! I'm sure I can just pop to the local post office branch and they'll sort me out, but is there like.. anything tricky I should know?
3. I'm SO EXCITED TO PICK OUT MY FABRIC Y'ALL
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

whofilets

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 23:25:24 PM »
Okay @RJR_38 I hope this doesn't feel like I'm stepping on your toes but I want to make sure I have this clear, and sometimes I need things explained two ways!

This is what the Boom will look like on my end:
1. I sign up here (done!) by May 22
2. I get the names of the other Boom participants (let's say there will be 10)
3. I shop for 1.25 metres of fabric, cut it into fat eights (keeping the extra for myself) and label each with my name and any requests I have. Ziploc or alternative
4. I send you the labeled fat eighths in time for you to receive by Wednesday June 9th, plus either pre-stamped envelopes with my address OR £3
5. I will get 10 fat eights of everyone else's fabric (or I will get 9? because you @RJR_38 will also make a block) and I will make one (at least one) 12.5 inch square block per fabric. I will stick this completed block into the baggie labeled with the originator. If I want to send the extra fabric from the fat eighth back, I can, or I can keep it.
6. I will mail you back all my completed blocks, plus another £3, in time for you to receive by August 11.
7. By the end of August I will receive 10 blocks back of MY fabric made by everyone else!

RJR_38

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 06:51:30 AM »
@whofilets

You're not stepping on my toes at all - I want to make sure everyone is clear! You have it absolutely right! You will receive 10 blocks to make - I suspect that it will be a slightly smaller group so you may have 2 sets from one person but for our first one I think that will be OK... let's see

PayPal is a great idea! (I use it for everything else so don't know why I didn't think of that!). As long as people send it 'friends and family' so I don't lose a % to PayPal. When the sign up is complete I will send a PM to the group with my address for posting and email address if people want to use PayPal or contact me directly about something

RJR_38

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2021, 06:57:39 AM »
@Catllar I have looked at the postal costs for you:

- standard post £4.25
- signed for (not tracked) £9.25

I am sure standard will be ok but it is completely up to you and if not I don't blame you if you think that signed for will be prohibitive for you joining in? 

Efemera

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 08:28:38 AM »
Signed for is a joke.... my postie just sticks them through the letterbox.

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2021, 18:05:37 PM »
I always have to go to the post office in town to collect signed-fors . Our postman doesn't deliver to the house ever. I think I'll go with Standard Post and PayPal it ,  so count me in please.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

RJR_38

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2021, 18:06:14 PM »
@Efemera at the moment you're right signed for is not actually 'signed for'. However, it does entitle you to compensation should it go missing and is *usually* less prone to things going missing (but nothing is foolproof as well know).

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 22:43:16 PM »
I'm debating whether or not pieces of this scattered throughout a quilt would look good or whether to look for something different.  Photo  shows about a F8th.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

whofilets

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2021, 00:43:04 AM »
@BrendaP Hmmm! I like it, because we would probably all have different reds and yellows and blues and batiks, but I understand where you're hesitant. It might look a bit different all cut up. Do you have enough for some sashing (or even just cornerstones) to bring all the blocks together?

I should have shopped my stash, but I don't have a lot cuts over one meter that I wanted to use for this. and I went a little wild and bought two different possibilities online- we'll see how they look and feel when they arrive! I have a third contender in my cart for my local fabric shop. aaaaaannnnnnd I looked at some fabric to ship to me from the US but I'm not certain it'll arrive in time.

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 00:53:30 AM »
I've got a good 3 metres, so there would plenty left for cornerstones, borders, binding or whatever.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

RJR_38

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 06:49:16 AM »
I think that fabric would allow some really good options for 'fussy cutting' so I might make you a block with mostly the red parts and someone else might do it with mainly the yellow parts - so you could arrange the blocks in some interesting ways when you get them back.

I am going to have a rummage around today to see what I've got and will visit the fabric shop tomorrow if not