The Sewing Place

Yet another project!

Bill

Re: Yet another project!
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2022, 14:51:48 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper the current ones are R&K for the top hooks. The bottom one is Ortlieb. I can still get the R&K ones but it seems ortlieb no longer sell/make the bottom one. It's been replaced by a different rail which I'd have to buy the hook separately.
I looked into using the hardwear from an old set of panniers I have but they would be too big to fit on the panniers I plan on making.
There isn't a big market for these things as few people make their own and they rarely break hence the high cost.

The front ones I was able to cut corners with the hooks etc as they won't be taking much weight. The rear bags however will need some serious strengthening where the hooks attach so the rails which the hooks screw to are needed as well.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2022, 19:59:34 PM »
@Bill do Altura do the parts??  I'm pretty sure Ortlieb do, but they would be pricey.

Bill

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2022, 20:26:01 PM »
They do but not full sets and their rails are kinda long.
I'm sourcing parts (or trying to) from sjs cycles if you know them. They have pretty much every part any cyclist could ever need but pannier bag parts seem to be rare as hen teeth.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2022, 20:58:33 PM »
Yes, SJS are very good for all sorts of bits, I often buy from them.

Bill

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2022, 23:04:17 PM »
I think I've come up with an idea...

Bill

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2022, 01:07:13 AM »
I've settled on a cylinder shape for the handlebar bag.
You can never have too many clips.  :S
I've still to figure out if I'll be able to get the correx board stiffener into the sleeve after I've sewn the ends. I'm leaving a gap at the zip to insert it but will it bend easily enough to go around? And will I be able to finish the other side of the zip once it's in?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Iminei

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2022, 07:34:25 AM »
Youve got a nice set up there @Bill
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2022, 07:55:38 AM »
This all looks very professional @Bill .
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Cazlyn

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2022, 08:13:32 AM »
Looking good @Bill I need to take a leaf out of your book re the neat workspace…  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Crafting is my happy place

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2022, 09:33:19 AM »
@Bill I wouldn't try and insert it at the zip end, do it from the other end, that will be easier to sew up after it's in.  No, forget that, I read it wrong!  Your zip is along the tube isn't it?  :facepalm:

Is correx the sort of corrugated stuff?  I think a thin plastic sheet, something like the very cheap chopping boards you can get on amazon would be better.  Correx may well fold if you bend it in line with the corrugations, and I don't think it will bend the other way.  Let me also just check some stuff I have, back in a mo.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2022, 09:42:38 AM »
Here you go.  The thin sheet underneath is a very cheap chopping board, but the roll of stuff is much more rigid.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2022, 11:53:53 AM »
I thought at first you’d put lights on the end of the bag! :laughing:
It’s ok.  I do have an eye test booked. 

Bill

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2022, 12:02:25 PM »
@Cazlyn I started off with a similar setup as you, on the kitchen table. Got tired of packing it all away every time for dinner etc sooooo, I got rid of my clothes drawers in the bedroom and moved it all into a corner. The tables I bought from amazon for about £50 each. Plastic drawers for bits and bobs about the same and I've a little wheeled trolley next to the table for fabric storage. I need to get the threads off the wall and into some sort of drawer or box as they get dusty sitting there and uv damage. Not as neat and tidy as a horn cabinet, but it does the job. At the expense of bedroom space.

@Bodgeitandscarper yup it's corrugated plastic stuff. Accidentally bought 2 8x4 sheets of it! 
:laughing: Way more than I needed but at least I'll not run out anytime soon.
It came rolled along the grooves. So if it were stood up on end, the grooves are horizontal. My thinking is that because its a cylinder, its less likely to lose shape through bending. The ends are also stiffened with correx. If it fails I'll just make another one but in box form.  :)

Bill

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2022, 12:03:30 PM »
I thought at first you’d put lights on the end of the bag! :laughing:
It’s ok.  I do have an eye test booked.

It's not a terrible idea. At least drivers would be more likely to notice me  :laughing:

Iminei

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2022, 15:22:03 PM »
HWMNBN built a woodburner out of corex for us to decide whether the size was right for the space available (It was)
I have a pic somewhere and will post IF I find it ... not much chance of that tho'
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again