The Sewing Place

Winter dress Vogue V9202

Silver Rose

Re: Winter dress Vogue V9202
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 16:29:16 PM »
Thanks BB I am really getting keen on full skirts again,  can't wait to be able to flounce about in it.
Still learning

Elnnina

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2021, 16:30:10 PM »
Silver Rose that looks lovely, love the swishy skirt.  Do hope you are enjoying your new machine and that this is making the sewing up of this dress a breeze.

Silver Rose

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »
@Elnnina  I particularly like the different speeds that you can sew at because the sleeves will be next and they are fiddly. I have pinned the sleeves in, I'll tack them before I sew just to be sure.
Still learning

Catllar

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2021, 13:12:03 PM »
Looks ideal for the cooler months!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 13:48:30 PM »
Looks lovely. 

Elnnina

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 15:28:23 PM »
Silver Rose, now this might be too late for the current dress, but on your new machine do you have a triple straight stitch, this is a straight stitch stitched in such a way that it has give and saves seams popping, so the stitch is formed one forward and then goes back over itself and then comes forward again before moving on to do that all over again.  If you have this stitch do try it out before hand and see what you think.  I use this stitch for armholes and crotch seams and they never pop.  I have this stitch on my 1975 Elna SU and thus it is an automatic smallish  stitch that cannot be elongated, but today's newer machines may well have this stitch and it may be able to have different lengths.  If you have this stitch and use it, and then want to unpick may I warn you that this is a stinker to unpick you are likely to end up with holes.  I learnt the hard way and decided to sew every seam on a pair of trousers with this stitch, and then found the trousers were far too big and in order to save them I had to clip each and every stitch very carefully but this took several days as it was so intense trying to be careful.  Good luck.

Silver Rose

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2021, 18:29:42 PM »
@Elnnina, my new machine has stretch stitch and triple stretch stitch which the manual suggests is best for armhole and crotch seams.  Both look difficult to remove with the stitch unpicker.  I usually sew over the underarms and crotch twice for  reinforcement. Haven't had a seam split on me yet.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2021, 12:59:31 PM »
The sleeves are in and no puckers, I sewed very slowly and am happy with it. I'll have a break before doing the hems.
While the dining table was in dressmaking mode I cut out a circular skirt in the pale grey fine wool and I have now put everything back so I can have my lunch at the dining table.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 15:06:24 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 20:14:32 PM »
@Silver Rose , you dress is beautiful - just love that fabric!

You're right about the Stretch stitch and triple stitch - they are a nightmare to unpick!  I'm sure though, that you will find other stitches which you will find invaluable.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2021, 20:57:50 PM »
Thank you @b15erk , I've just finished pinning up the skirt hem, all 14 feet of it.
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 21:11:33 PM »
Thank you @b15erk , I've just finished pinning up the skirt hem, all 14 feet of it.

:scream:
Bet it will look lovely though
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Silver Rose

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2021, 15:09:21 PM »
It is finished. I hand sewed the sleeve hems last evening and machined a narrow hem on the dress today.  As I feared the bobbin ran out about 18 inches from the end.
The hems need a jolly good press now and that's that.
Still learning