The Sewing Place

Making your own patterns

Marniesews

Re: Making your own patterns
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
I have an older book on patternmaking for knits, also from Fairchild books, by Keith Richardson. Doesn't have stellar reviews, but I can make do :)

That's the one I was looking at before I put Julie Cole's book on my Christmas list with fingers crossed. I'd been warned to ignore his charts as they were full of errors and I was very unimpressed by his entirely unapologetic response to a buyer of his book simply saying any errors would be corrected in a revised edition, which still hasn't happened many years later (pub. 2008). However, it was the newest of its kind until Julie's book was published last year and if I'd had it already it would have been much more difficult to justify paying out for a book so new there hadn't been time for thorough testing by buyers. Fortunately I like it very much and it's had great reviews so far. I've used it for drafting new necklines on my standard leotard and the balance of text and diagrams has proven sufficient for me up to now.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Jo

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
Yes, that's the same thing I read about the errors, but didn't yet get a chance to look through it to see how bad they are :)
Here are the patterns for the cardigan I posted earlier, if anyone's interested :)

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 13:13:11 PM »
Did you use the Richardson book in drafting this? It looks like you're using drafting film, I used this for years for tracing patterns as I was given a roll from the closure of a drawing office. Good to trace through although I've had a few paper cuts off it!  :o

There's an interesting review of Julie Cole's book  on Pattern Review together with a companion volume on sewing knits which I'm not sure that I can justify but it looks to have good information too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

lakaribane

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 13:50:08 PM »
I have info on adjustments for blouses, jackets and coats if you are interested. 
Using the curve is just a matter of moving it around until you find the appropriate curve.  Alternatively you can freehand draw if you want.

Thanks for the reply. I will take you up on this when exam season is over. Off to correct sheets!

Jo

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 14:01:41 PM »
Marniesews, it's actually from Suzy Furrer "Drafting tops" class :) But it's quite easy to make, it's just two rectangles besides the collar.
Not sure what drafting film is  :D this is just tracing paper and it's super useful when I'm drafting new patterns, because most times I just make the new design atop the sloper, without retracing the sloper entirely. No paper cuts yet :D
Thank you for the link, will check it out!