The Sewing Place

Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong

Esme866

Re: Autumn / Winter 3-piece Sewalong
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2021, 06:33:48 AM »
Yes another interesting miscommunication across the pond! :laughing:

Gangbanger: noun: member of a violent street gang.

Gangbang: verb : apparently has the identical meaning in the UK!

Here in the states, mostly only larger cities have the issue of wearing "colors". There are a few neighborhoods in smaller cities with the problem, but as an over-the-hill-woman, I could go into those neighborhoods wearing the wrong color shirt without an issue - that would have anything to do with the shirt color.

Shackets were simply called "shirt jackets" in the 70's and were even often seen in the old "Charlie's Angels" TV series. I've had a photo of a couple in the "clothing inspiration folder" of my phone gallery for a couple of years.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a plaid, I'm just kinda picky when I choose one! I think I only have 2 plaids in my stash, but I'm so much larg.....ummm....I have so much more volume these days, it's highly unlikely I could match the plaids AND get the girls covered. Could also color block - just haven't been inspired!

Lachica

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2021, 07:14:23 AM »
@Renegade Sewist @Esme866 in the UK it refers to rape by many people sequentially, not  to gang membership.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Esme866

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2021, 07:42:07 AM »
@Lachica Yes, got that. Just saw no reason to literally write it out.

Tamnymore

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2021, 08:16:03 AM »
Crikey! I think I'm going to put my shacket pattern back in the pattern stash!.Back to the drawing board (though I do have loads of tartan in the stash so it's bound to appear somewhere). An interesting lesson on the sociology of clothes @Renegade Sewist and @Esme866

In terms of wearing types of clothing it's not quite the same but some years ago the hooded sweatshirt or 'hoodie' took on cultural meaning in the UK when it became associated with young men who might display threatening behaviour. We were encouraged not to see hoodie wearers as threatening and former PM David Cameron suggested we 'hug a hoodie'. However if you see a bunch of young men hanging around a park with their hoods up and faces partially obscured it would definitely be unnerving.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2021, 08:25:27 AM »
@Renegade Sewist @Esme866 in the UK it refers to rape by many people sequentially, not  to gang membership.

We just cut to the chase and call that gang r@&& here. I hate using the word. And that is exactly how the young women are inducted into most gangs here. They somewhat willing do whatever they are told to do with a number of the males while others watch. It's that or get beaten which is how they induct the guys. By what I read the girls that choose being jumped in, beaten, get treated with more respect than the others, more like one of the guys.

Sorry to have hijacked your jacket.

@Tamnymore so long as your nor planning to bring your shacket on a trip to the States you should be fine with your tartan.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Flobear

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2021, 08:32:34 AM »
Thank you for that informative diversion ladies.
Aaaaand back to the Autumn 3 pieces if we may  :sew:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Tamnymore

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2021, 09:13:57 AM »
Phew yes - back to 3  autumn pieces hopefully free from cultural baggage!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »
Phew yes - back to 3  autumn pieces hopefully free from cultural baggage!

If we're lucky. :laughing: Believe me ladies I had no idea my little comment would lead down that path.

@Flobear oh no no. We're discussing the autumn 3 pieces on another thread.   :thumbsup:  Funny, mostly the same people. We apparently get around and topics just follow along. :laughing:

Flobear

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »
I know the feeling @Renegade Sewist . My middle sis and I have phone calls like that - we call them 'free-range' conversations.
And as for going into the café and encouraging others to join the Sewalong -  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2021, 11:03:21 AM »
Got bits washed, going to wash other bits, need measurements.  I don't have a tumble dryer or a garden so got the fabric hanging on a hanger on a door and turning occasionally to get it dry  :laughing:
No idea how long that will take as I don't normally wash it immediately before sewing and never used fleece before either  :o
I suppose I should also think about the pattern too! Rectangles seem the way to go for the dressing gowns  :thumbsup:
Also need to think about whether to double up any parts and where to put what fabric?
Really what I am saying is I need to think about the whole thing and what I am doing because so far I have done two things.
1) Decide I am making PJ's and dressing gown
2) Buy fabric
And this illustrates how I tend to go about sewing anything  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Celia

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2021, 10:02:41 AM »

Don’t think i am going to join in as such but would love to use this Sewalong as inspiration, I would love to be able to ask questions and maybe post photos of fabrics patterns etc but am nervous of saying i will do 3 things and I hate being photographed so finished items could be a problem.

Love those fabrics @Bumblebuncher

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »
( psst @Celia don't tell anybody but remember me saying I suggest not asking for clarification or anything?  Because that way you can do this the way you want to interpret it? Well, think of photos of garments being modeled or on a dress form as being a suggestion. I have no one who could take pictures of me anyway. A lot of people who garment sew don't have dress forms. That leaves throwing them on the bed or hanger shots. Don't tell Flo but if I get them done you'll be seeing hanger shots. I bought some of those fancy front torso display hangers when a shop was closing. I'm sure everyone would be just fine with you doing hanger shots if that's what you have and we don't want anyone to sit out over something like photos. Be sure to keep this just between the two of us. OK?)  :thumbsup:

Flobear

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »
It's called a Sew Along @Celia so just do that and see how it goes.
You can't possibly be as hopeless as I'm being with sock-knitting  :laughing:

Celia

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »
Thank you @Renegade Sewist and @Flobear not feeling my best today so that’s cheered me up, will look at fabrics this afternoon and report back

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2021, 12:02:15 PM »
@Celia I agree with the photo thingy, I hate it, DH is useless at realising he is taking a photo of the clothes and tends to sit on the chair and shoot upwards, no pics from that.  The only mirror I could use is in the hallway and too narrow, so useless too!
I am lucky to have a dress form, but they really don't show how things look on your body and I look at the pics and know they look better on my weird shape (that I really can't get my dress form to be so use it to drape stuff on and get to roughly where it needs to be.
I also knowmy things are nowhere near as good as other people, in fact I have seen Pj's just today that are wonderful compared to what I will do!
The reason I am doing it is to just join in and be part of this wonderful sewing family  :grouphug:
It will also spur me on to doing them, instead of intending to and ending up in Tesco because I ran out of time  :laughing:
Go on, do it, you know you want to  :ninja:
BB

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."