The Sewing Place

TSP's Autumn Equinox Mug rug Swap 2022

Flobear

Re: TSP's Autumn Equinox Mug rug Swap 2022
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 21:18:18 PM »
I've got some written instructions for the one I'm experimenting with so remains to be seen how successful that will be  -<
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 08:19:09 AM »
The one thing I can suggest is NOT to cut the exact sizes for your design from the fusi before you iron it to the fabric ...

Draw the shapes in the size you need including seam allowances on the fusi .... cut around these with 1/4" - 1/2" or so extra, Iron the fusi on to the fabric THEN cut the shapes out exactly

Im not explaining this very well as Ive been pole-axed by some evil lurgy overnight and have a head full of cotton wool.

If the problem is you havent got enough fabric to redo  .... Dont worry about it ... None of us know which fabric you were going to use ....

Translate the above into Mandarin, it will probably make more sense!  :faints:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:20:52 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kad

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 09:04:28 AM »
I would love to join in this time, but we've got a funeral, a wedding, 2 birthdays, house guests and a week in Wales in the next 3 weeks so I very much doubt that I'd complete anything at all, let alone anything that I'd dare to show to the world  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2022, 09:16:31 AM »
@Lachica  Am I understanding you cut our pieces without seam allowances ???

If so, just make it smaller!

Flobear

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 09:21:35 AM »
Well, @Kad , you could do what Renegade Sewist is doing and pledge to make one for yourself / a friend without the time constraints of joining in the swap. And if you do want to 'show it to the (TSP) world' so much the better  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lachica

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2022, 09:30:40 AM »
@Iminei thanks. Yes, I drew my design, cut it up, used the cut pieces to cut out interfacing. Ironed on to fabric, cut out & realised the tiny pieces are so tiny that 5mm seam allowances leave......practically nothing! Doh! I always include seam allowances on garments  :S With modification (adding in a couple of extra background pieces) I'm getting there & quite enjoying the process.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bjay

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 10:52:31 AM »
@Lachica don't worry.  If it's anything like the one you made for Spring it will be wonderful.

I think I'm  going to do simple squares, just hope I can find the fabric bits I have somewhere.!
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Lachica

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 11:03:04 AM »
Thanks @Bjay
Mary

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2022, 11:51:17 AM »
Oddly enough a "how to sew a quilt as you go mug rug " tutorial appeared on my phone today. How did they know? Must be stealing information from my tablet.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Bjay

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2022, 14:31:49 PM »
Just spent an hour looking through  placcy bags full of bits I never throw away,

Really i should be rid of a lot .

I eventually found some ready cut squares left over from  a quilt made long ago and hopefully some fabric that will  blend with them.
Now to find time to make it  :S
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Lachica

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2022, 14:34:53 PM »
@Renegade Sewist it's creepy, isn't it?  Google home must have heard DH talking about a new car, now I keep getting ads for electric SUVs.
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 07:56:37 AM »
Well the piecing is finished and it looks like my plan. I think maybe my special fabric wasn't the best choice though, a plain would perhaps have been better.
Mary

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 08:52:48 AM »
Heres some Galleries showing previous Mug Rugs .....

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2022, 10:01:07 AM »
Generic question for everyone. What do you usually use in the middle?  I'm assuming we want flat stable surfaces so our skinny mugs (I have them.) and ice tea glasses don't fall over. Probably need heat repellent for fine furniture as well as moisture resistant for most of them. Insulbrite? Fusible interfacing type, like the thicker stiffer stuff for craft applications? Wool felt?

I have no idea except that polyester batting would be way too puffy.

Help o sewing Goddesses.  :meditate:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2022, 15:43:01 PM »
Well I use a layer of stabiliser (as most of mine are embroidered by Elvistoo) and a layer of curtain interfacing from the Interior Design shop  in town. The reason I do this is it gives a certain weight to the MR ... which, as everyone knows,  = quality !!

If I used wadding I would use two layers to give the same weight/heft  but remember the three laters would be supremely joined together by all the embroidery.

For the appliqued MR's I made before I had Elvistoo I used a cotton wadding ... I cant remember how they felt as they were so long ago ... @StitchinTime @Sandra  ???

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]