The Sewing Place

Small but Useful - January 1 - 31

Bumblebuncher

Re: Small but Useful - January 1 - 31
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2022, 11:25:41 AM »
Those are great!  I need oven gloves so I may make some to match the tea cosy (if I ever finish it)
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ann

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2022, 11:32:48 AM »
Ann Entry #1

This year the goal is to use less paper when wrapping gifts. I plan on making reusable gift bags that people can reuse the following year. The goal is to use up fabric from the stash that are orphans. I may have to buy some fabric to go with them.

This is a basic lined bag using quilting cotton. I put a buttonhole in to thread the ribbon through. This bag is large enough to hold two small tubs for cookies, 4 mug rugs, packages of hot chocolate, and chocolate spoons. I had no issues sewing the bag. I interfaced both the outer fabric and lining with a light fusible knit interfacing so the bag can be folded easily for storage.

The tutorial is one I wrote years ago when I made my first bags.

Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

So Chic

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2022, 11:45:21 AM »
Can I use an item that I made for a competition on another site, if not I'll start stitching on something else.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Sheilago

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2022, 14:07:09 PM »
Here’s my new tea cosy. Made to fit my teapot. A bird design on one side ( the front really ) , with a sunburst type design on the other. I used a layer of Insulbright and a layer of normal wadding to keep my tea nice and cosy  :D Dark green fabric on the inside to disguise the inevitable tea stains!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

So Chic

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2022, 14:29:01 PM »
@Sheilago      I've just made a cosy for my coffee pot but it isn't a patch on yours, I would be ashamed to show mine.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Diane

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2022, 14:32:23 PM »
@Sheilago I love it, I don’t have a teapot but after seeing this, I think I might have to buy one. I love the colours and appliqué  :perfect10:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

realale

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2022, 14:35:14 PM »
That's a pretty tea cosy @Sheilago. I like the bird applique, it's very neatly done.  :perfect10:
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2022, 14:35:39 PM »
@Sheilago that is lovely! Brought a smile to my face, so hope it does the same for you every day you use it.

Acorn

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2022, 14:49:31 PM »
Gorgeous!  I've wished so often that I drank tea so that I could have lovely tea cosies.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kad

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2022, 16:18:23 PM »
Kads entry

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

DD's best friend has asked if I could make a " small, interesting " frame purse for her to use at her wedding in March. I've been 'playing' with texture for a while now, I already knew the colours for the wedding, and made myself a textured fabric on a cotton base using organza, silver & pink Angelina fibres and flakes. This was embellished with a variety of machine stitches in a pale silvery grey thread and then attacked with a hot air gun. It's definitely ' interesting  :D
I had the frame already in stock so made up a simple purse with a plain white cotton lining. At 6" x 4.5" it's big enough for tissues, lippy and little else but the bride to be likes it and that's what matters.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Acorn

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2022, 16:39:04 PM »
Wow!  That is gorgeous!!   :loveit: 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2022, 17:02:39 PM »
@Kad really beautiful!

Lachica

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2022, 17:25:36 PM »
Absolutely beautiful @Kad . Lucky brise.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sheilago

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2022, 17:30:58 PM »
How clever @Kad  to even make your own fabric! It’s beautiful. :flower:

Just been looking at all the earlier entries , which are gorgeous. Beautiful gift bag and cases for needles and pencils and a very cute Teddy case, which obviously worked well despite the fur getting in the way. Love the oven gloves too. I’ve never tried making those even though I’ve made several tea cosies- must give it a go some time
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 19:01:45 PM by Iminei »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2022, 18:53:42 PM »
Wow, that's lovely!  @Kad, would you be able to do a thread on just how you created that fabric?  I'm really interested.