The Sewing Place

Janome or Babylock? Hmmm

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Janome or Babylock? Hmmm
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2023, 08:59:01 AM »
If you're going for an overlocker, then the cheap Brother's are fine.  Coverstitchers however, if you can possibly afford it, get a BabyLock.  The cheap Janomes are notorious for skipping stitches.

Helen M

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2023, 10:14:58 AM »
I'll second going for a Brother overlock. Mine, a 730D, is a forerunner of the 1034D (I think the latest ones have a different number in the UK) now 32 years old and threads the same as the 1034D. It takes me no time at all to thread from scratch and I've done it from day one.

Don't go for a combined one though!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2023, 12:00:47 PM »
@Puzzler sounds like something is out of sync on your overlocker.  The Bernina is a nice machine.

MissEmmy

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2023, 17:34:30 PM »
@MissEmmy in the US the Brother 1034D is very popular and reliable. The new version, the 1034DX can be bought at Walmart for $199.97. Might run you up to $300 elsewhere. You don't need a dealer. If you were buying a $5000 machine maybe.

I have a Singer that was under $200 at Wallyworld. It does all the basics and has a very narrow narrow rolled hem which is what I was after. I had taken a class with Kayla Kennington and she uses that a lot.

Anyway, as the cashier told me, there's a 90 day return period. She suggested I take it home and sew the he** out of it then bring it back if I didn't like it. It's still here. If I was doing over I'd get the Brother I mentioned. Or if my pockets weren't full of holes the newer Bernina. Drool. I took a class using it. OMG that is a sweet machine.

As for air threading. My friend was the manager of the local Bernina dealer when I was serger shopping. She told me not to get air threading. She said they were constantly having machines in for repair because the air threading went out. Threading manually is easy and really only takes minutes.

Coverstitch is another story. You would want to be sure the machine is easy to change back and forth between the two and easy to reset.

Oh geez.  Well, I’d really like to support our local business family… they are wonderful.  They don’t know it, but I also review the granny’s medication list and prescription drug plan each year as they are clients in my daughter’s health insurance business.  I bought my first vacuum from them over 40 years ago🤣.

That said, I don’t need to buy THAT machine from them… even though my eyes were glazing over and I was close to stroking it and calling it PRECIOUS, MY PRECIOUS…

We also have a Bernina shop which is lovely and I haven’t been there in a while.  I suspect they are equally $$$, but will maybe go in for a look?  Will also investigate the Brother☺️

Thank you for the advice!
MissEmmy from California

MissEmmy

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2023, 17:35:32 PM »
I'll second going for a Brother overlock. Mine, a 730D, is a forerunner of the 1034D (I think the latest ones have a different number in the UK) now 32 years old and threads the same as the 1034D. It takes me no time at all to thread from scratch and I've done it from day one.

Don't go for a combined one though!

Thank you for the advice!  I will listen!
MissEmmy from California

Ouryve

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2023, 18:11:34 PM »
@MissEmmy I bought my bernina L450 overlocker from my local dealer after they went all out to sell me the reasonably priced Brother, already mentioned and I stated that I had some flex in my budget for something a little quieter. That one was their recommendation. Its definitely worth a look. There is a extension table available for it that makes handling heavier a projects a little easier.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

MissEmmy

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2023, 19:29:33 PM »
@MissEmmy I bought my bernina L450 overlocker from my local dealer after they went all out to sell me the reasonably priced Brother, already mentioned and I stated that I had some flex in my budget for something a little quieter. That one was their recommendation. Its definitely worth a look. There is a extension table available for it that makes handling heavier a projects a little easier.
Thank you @Ouryve, I'm heading out for errands and think I'll stop into the Bernina shop today :loveit:
MissEmmy from California

Celia

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2023, 21:40:47 PM »
Please do not buy any machine just because an old one was very good, unfortunately a lot of machines are made by different manufacturers and these change over the years, although this is true of some sewing machines it is much more so with Overlockers.

I have an extensive history of working with air threading Overlockers and in a period of 10 years have only come across 2 with threading problems, one really was just age and the bellows needed replacing and the other was gummed up with thread and grease due to being kept in a kitchen.

Do look at lots of makes and decide for yourself.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2023, 22:39:32 PM »
@Celia I couldn’t agree more.  I love my Husqvarna sewing machines but wouldn’t give house room to their overlockers.  And as you say the manufacturer changes  over the years.  I’ve also never come across any problems with the air threading.

Celia

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2023, 08:31:45 AM »
@Ohsewsimple 

I agree about the Husqvarna sewing machines  but years ago they made a couple of excellent overlockers, they were of course made by a different manufacturer, I know that for certain.  The more modern one were dreadful.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2023, 12:25:51 PM »
Yes @Celia I have a feeling they were made by Toyota???  I found they were a PITA to thread.
No one else where I worked wanted to deal with overlockers , and coverstitch machines were never used by anyone else except me. So I did all the demos and lessons.  I’ve used no end of different makes and models.  And been surprised with some and disappointed with others.  Real eye opener when you work with it all isn’t it?

So Chic

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2023, 12:41:53 PM »
I have a Bernina 800DL which was made by Juki for Bernina and I’m very happy with it.  I don’t know who makes Bernina overlockers now but the equivalent model is still available from Juki.  I was quite impressed by a Janome 9200 I used at a class recently but it was brand new and I think I was the first person to use.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2023, 12:48:29 PM »
@So Chic I think Bernina make their own now. 

Helen M

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2023, 14:23:48 PM »
Please do not buy any machine just because an old one was very good, unfortunately a lot of machines are made by different manufacturers and these change over the years, although this is true of some sewing machines it is much more so with Overlockers.

I have an extensive history of working with air threading Overlockers and in a period of 10 years have only come across 2 with threading problems, one really was just age and the bellows needed replacing and the other was gummed up with thread and grease due to being kept in a kitchen.

Do look at lots of makes and decide for yourself.

@Celia, I know my Brother is old, but I have used a newer Brother (the ones they are selling now) and they sew as well as my old one does and I'd say they handle heavier fabric slightly better. Mine does not look as ancient or handle like some of the vintage ones that you find on eBay either! 
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick here but I thought the main issue was that the threading can be a bit daunting to someone using one for the first time so they were looking at the air thread type which are an awful lot more expensive? I showed 2 friends how to use their Janome ones and I'd have quit using them I'm sure as they were not easy to thread at all!  At the end of the day we're pretty much just neatening the edges although mine and the new ones do a lot more as well.

Brother's are so easy to thread that, as I said, from day one I have never knotted threads to change colours.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Ouryve

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2023, 15:00:27 PM »
I tried knotting threads when I first got mine and ended up having to start from scratch, anyhow. It's all colour coded and pretty straightforward.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"