The Sewing Place

Janome or Babylock? Hmmm

Vezelay

Re: Janome or Babylock? Hmmm
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2023, 15:26:25 PM »
@MissEmmy as the TSPer who started this thread and replaced a perfectly functional workhorse Brother 1034D with a Babylock Victory, I'm going to suggest that the Brother (or its updated version) would be a more than adequate first overlocker.

I love gadgets and after several lockdowns we were awash with spare cash... so I bought the Babylock. It's a bit like replacing a five year old Nissan Micra with a Golf (did that a while back!). I was treating myself but there's no need for you to do the same unless that's your plan. The price difference is huge.

One great thing about the Brother is there are loads of helpful videos on Youtube for threading, trouble shooting and minor repairs. And no, the threading isn't really an issue once you've done it a few times. One thing I've discovered quite late is that mid-grey thread matches 50% of fabrics!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2023, 20:37:10 PM »
I have Janome 6234XL overlocker, which is an excellent machine. I've always threaded it from scratch.  It becomes second nature.  Once I'd figured out how the looper threads ran in relation to each other I found it didn't matter if I threaded it in the wrong order.
I've changed the needles regularly, and keep it clean and oiled. It's a really good machine.  I had no plans to change it but I recently had a chance to buy a Bernina L460 and I really like it.  It's so quiet. Interestingly the manual says to tie in new threads when changing them but I just do it from scratch.
I will be selling my Janome now.

MissEmmy

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2023, 01:14:14 AM »
OK, still researching here.  I did go back to the Babylock/Janome dealer, but that's because I needed a new vacuum :rolleyes:

While I was there I stressed that I was interested in a entry-level serger.  While they still wanted to encourage the higher end models (go figure), they did show me a Vibrant Baby Lock, which runs about $400.

I'm very tempted from the stories of $199 machines at Walmart (and being able to return it after 90 days, etc.) but also realize I can't get actual service at Walmart if I've messed it up somehow.  And I don't feel comfortable asking my local repair/dealer to service a machine they haven't sold me :thinking:?

Are there any Vibrant users here?  Do you consider it worth the extra $200 or so?
MissEmmy from California

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2023, 05:30:48 AM »
If you bought a car in Colorado @MissEmmy and moved to California would you feel it was necessary to return to Colorado every time it needs any service? Hopefully, no. If your machine dealer has a service department that services other brands then they will be happy to service your machine. They do make money from servicing the machines. They also sell you needles and other doodads while you are there.

I took a quick look at the Vibrant. It didn't interest me. I wouldn't buy it if it was cheaper. It has knobs on the front. For me those are knuckle bruisers so it's an immediate no. I wanted all dials and bought accordingly.

Now, some dealers throw in extras such as classes, a discount on accessories for it for a year, or a free servicing at one year. On sewing machines anyway, not sure about serger/overlock machines. I'd call and ask. That could sway you. In either case ask how much servicing will cost you.

I've had mine for 18 years. I'm not a heavy user, actually not the last few years at all. But it has never needed servicing. The blades are still sharp. It still purrs. I change the needles more than some people who apparently never change their serger needles. I also cleaned it really well after each garment and midway when I was sewing fleece. The only time any of my friends have had a serger in for service it was the air threading had stopped working or they foolishly damaged the cutting blades by sewing over pins. You pin differently with a serger or use those clips so it's easy to see them to remove.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2023, 05:47:55 AM »
As for buying from a dealer, if I was spending several thousand dollars I'd probably want some hand holding. When I bought my little Brother se-400 sewing machine I did buy from Walmart. It was $399 but when I went to look at it again they had marked down to $299. It was only available from a different location and they were holding it for me. I was waffling about buying from a dealer, all the possible reasons. I still went and looked at what they had. Identical machine with some additional Mickey Mouse embroidery designs. Literally. I forget, it was either $699 or $799. I would get 10% off all embroidery supplies, threads etc for a year. Two introductory classes, free. Feel free to come in for help whenever I needed it. And the best part at one year a FREE servicing of both the machine and the embroidery module. A $150 value right there. That was tempting. She acted like my new best friend. Really kept pushing me to buy it today. I needed to think over night. I did sign up for the email newsletter.

The very next day I got an email for their going out of business sale.  :angry: It had already started on the quiet for their regular customers. I would have gotten nothing she had promised. They were considered reputable and had been around for at least 20 years.

I'm very happy with my Walmart purchase. I've never needed it serviced yet either. I don't sew over pins, drop my machines, etc. I change needles, they're cheap and I clean clean clean. No congested lint in my babies.  :sew:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Helen M

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2023, 10:30:43 AM »
If it's the servicing you are concerned about and the dealer machine is double the cost of one from Walmart, you could buy a new one if it really messes up.......

For the record mine has never been serviced, :faints: I clean it properly and oil it regularly. I changed the blades after many years myself, maybe get an extra set (I got something from a US dealer Sewing machine parts???) just to have in. If    it went I'd just buy a newer Brother. 
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

MissEmmy

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2023, 17:20:32 PM »
If you bought a car in Colorado @MissEmmy and moved to California would you feel it was necessary to return to Colorado every time it needs any service? Hopefully, no. If your machine dealer has a service department that services other brands then they will be happy to service your machine. They do make money from servicing the machines. They also sell you needles and other doodads while you are there.

I took a quick look at the Vibrant. It didn't interest me. I wouldn't buy it if it was cheaper. It has knobs on the front. For me those are knuckle bruisers so it's an immediate no. I wanted all dials and bought accordingly.

Now, some dealers throw in extras such as classes, a discount on accessories for it for a year, or a free servicing at one year. On sewing machines anyway, not sure about serger/overlock machines. I'd call and ask. That could sway you. In either case ask how much servicing will cost you.

I've had mine for 18 years. I'm not a heavy user, actually not the last few years at all. But it has never needed servicing. The blades are still sharp. It still purrs. I change the needles more than some people who apparently never change their serger needles. I also cleaned it really well after each garment and midway when I was sewing fleece. The only time any of my friends have had a serger in for service it was the air threading had stopped working or they foolishly damaged the cutting blades by sewing over pins. You pin differently with a serger or use those clips so it's easy to see them to remove.

@Renegade Sewist, your comment on the dials is persuasive!  I haven’t used knobs or dials, so this is an issue that would not have occurred to me.  I do feel more loyal to a small town long time family business (generations), and they do do weekly classes on their sergers showing a different technique each week.  I do find that tempting…

But knowing how long each of you have had your machines with little or no need for service (and I like to clean and oil my machines myself) has really been very helpful!🥰
MissEmmy from California

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2023, 21:44:47 PM »
It’s always a good idea to have machines serviced regularly.  A repair is different and a service will often mean your machine won’t need an expensive repair.  They always sound and feel much better after a proper service. 

Lachica

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2023, 22:54:37 PM »
Overlockers are simple mechanical affairs, with regular cleaning & oiling they shouldn't need to go to a mechanic. Blades are easy to change when you chop a pin. I started with a s/h Brother 1034, it was quite noisy but very reliable. I replaced it with a Brother 4234 a couple of years ago. This has adjustable width & needle threaders but is otherwise similar - noisy! I sold the 1034 for a profit  :D I don't think you'll go wrong with one of these.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2023, 12:27:33 PM »
It’s the insides that you can’t get to that are dealt with in a service and that makes a difference.  You can’t take the covers off or you invalidate the warranty.