The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01-01-2022 to 31-12-2022

Ann

@realale, I love Christmas fabric. I really  have to be certain what I buy I will use up immediately as I had bought a lot of Christmas fabric over the  years. In other words it has to be targeted to a project that I will be making right away.

I cut up 5.4 meters of fabric last month. I am still working on one project. Behind on it as we spent 3 weekends out of our house due to blizzards. Spent them at our family's where we could be warm if the power went out and get emergency vehicles in quicker if we needed them (which we didn't). We have another storm starting on Friday but we are going to stay at home for this one. Mostly rain/freezing rain/ice pellets. We have everything we need so we will be okay.

February brings using up more Christmas fabric, another piece of fabric from the doll's stash, and a few other things like piping and a reusable bag for DD to give to the breeder of their dogs. I stayed away from the fabric stores in January but will have to go this month as I need a bit of fabric to do some of the projects. My crafting/quilting cottons are starting to look like orphans. I realized when I did the decluttering how bad this was but it is making me happy that the fabric is been sewn up.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

February is almost done and it has been a tough month. We've weathered some ugly storms as it seems as if every weekend brings in something like rain, snow, wind, etc. We've also been weathering some storms in the house as DH is going through a stage of anxiety, frustration, and anger with Alzheimer's.

To date I have sewn 3.65 meters of fabric. Two meters of that was for the dolls and most of the month was spent sewing up those items. I finally finished the outfit including the bustle and petticoat on Feb. 21 and all I can say is - it was a lot of work.

I also made a bag for DD's dog breeder. DD sent me the fabric before Christmas and I finally got to it Feb 22. I finished it yesterday afternoon. I spent most of my time making sure I had the measurements correctly as the base of the bag (you can't see it) is black and the top fabric was the right depth so the pieces when sewn together measured 20". I made piping for the handles and closure piece and used a scrap of fabric with a dog's head on it for the button.

I am going to end the month with making some piping, prepping to make a fun doll's outfit (easy one) and getting ready to start placemats and mug rugs.
Stash Busting 2023

Ellabella

• Ann likes this

dyedinthewool

I don't know about yardage but I've just finished this MASSIVE dog plushie from fleece scraps (standard coffee mug for scale).

realale

He's adorable @dyedinthewool. What a lovely toy to make from scraps. Well done  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Lachica

That's very cute.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ann

@dyedinthewool, that is one cute but large plushie. Very nicely done.

I'm working on placemats, mug rugs, gift bag, doll's apron and maybe a doll's simple outfit from 1 meter of fabric from the stash and 4 meters I had to buy. (When I buy fabric, I record it in my data base and then it becomes stash. When I sew it up, I mark the amount into the sewn column as the fabric has to be sewn up in the month I buy it -- New Ann policy).

The mug rugs are done and put away for our friend's Xmas gift.

I have the placemats to go with them done to hand sewing down the binding. Two got done today so pictures later. I also made a gift bag from the off cuts.

I am really pleased with these gifts so far. I am hoping to use up the scraps in a doll's simple outfit and one FQ for piping for DD. If there are long 2.25" wide scraps in red, I will put them away for trim on doll's outfits or another Christmas project I am going to make in May.
Stash Busting 2023

Lachica

They're lovely @Ann I'm very impressed - Christmas gifts 9 months early!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ann

@Lachica, thank you for your kind comment. The goal this year is to sew down as much of the Christmas fabric in the stash. Gift bags, placemats, etc. I love Christmas fabric and want to be able to buy some new pieces.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

More gone from the stash. I used up the flannel left from DGS's pj pants I made 3 Christmas's ago. I made 2 blankets that I did a rolled hem on and 2 pillows. I made them when DH was outside having a break from doing puzzles.

I got doll pj's made when he was really tired and wanting to rest all the time. He sat in the sewing room so I could monitor him. The pattern was easy to sew and I finished them in time to find out he has shingles.

We will see what I get made next. I have 3 items on my list to make -- doll's outfit, bowl cozies for Xmas gift, and piping for DD.
Stash Busting 2023

Bumblebuncher

So cute  :D
  • Ann likes this
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Ann

I still haven't got pictures of the 6 placemats. But I have two of them photographed so that is going to have to do.

I also finished up the 2 potholders as I finally got the insulbrite for them two days ago.

Another Christmas gift done -- placemats, mug rugs, and potholders.
Stash Busting 2023

MitchOfTheNorth

@Ann those gingerbread men are very cute
  • Ann likes this
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Ann

I got 4 bowl cozies made from fabric DD sent me. I will get bowls for them from Ikea and gift them to her at Christmas. They eat a lot of soup in the winter so these will be perfect.

I found a pattern for a square container that I will probably make one for her and one for DSIL. The square containers will be perfect for their lunches as they microwave leftovers at work.
Stash Busting 2023

MitchOfTheNorth

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not sewing fast enough.  And that I have very little willpower to resist fabric.
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters