The Sewing Place

Organising fabric. Help needed

Goth Gardiner

Re: Organising fabric. Help needed
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 07:25:07 AM »
I think the ones I have are the Skubb ones, they are deeper and taller.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Celia

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2022, 08:54:45 AM »
Yes they are the same ones I have @Goth Gardiner

William

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2022, 20:04:03 PM »
We ahve one of these at home as my wife is using it for completely other purposes. It is made well, is sturdy and has survived at least 10 years - worthit if it fills a need-
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Celia

Re: Organising fabric. Help needed. Update
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 11:36:22 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Now I have finished moving wardrobes etc I am thinking about wether to get rid of one of the wardrobes and replace them with Ikea Kallax system but are they big enough, the measurement say the individual boxes are 13 inches square and that seems a bit tight for dressmaking fabrics.

Has anyone got the Kallax

LeilaMay

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2022, 11:47:17 AM »
Myself, I'd be tempted to go for something that doesn't have 'square' holes, but more shelves which were longer or deeper.
(I have a discontinued range, so not much help there, sorry)
Maybe even something you can put doors on - dust seems like it could be an issue, unless you add a lot of boxes inside the cubes, and then you're starting to spend good money on storage systems instead of fabric and patterns :)

Even, for now while you're thinking, couldn't you use clear stacking boxes of something? Then there would be no furniture to get assembled, and no-one is going to see it but you are they?

Good luck
Leial

Lachica

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2022, 13:28:29 PM »
The IKEA Kallax looks lovely in people's sewing room photos but I want my stored fabric dust free, away from light and sealed so moths don't get at it. Plastic storage boxes don't look so pretty but have secure clip lids and can be stacked in a wardrobe. I have a label on the visible end so I can record what's inside.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

StitchinTime

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2022, 14:03:13 PM »
I think you said the wardrobe wasn’t strong enough to fix shelves to the sides, but could you put a bookcase or free standing shelves inside the wardrobe? You would then be able to close the doors to keep out light and dust.

Ouryve

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2022, 14:06:01 PM »
Pax would be better. You can get shallower ones if depth is an issue. We have one that is all shelving in eldest's room.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2022, 18:27:40 PM »
I have the kallax with the cupboard insert and the drawer insert in my lounge (not for fabric).  They are very sturdy and I am really pleased with them two years after putting them up.  For fabric I have a similar cube storage but it is wire frame (that is an extra few centimetres storage lol ) with fabric drawer inserts.  They are really awkward to get in and out and I really wish I had the kallax upstairs in the bedroom too.  I fully intend to replace the wire one day.#
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Sewnow

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2022, 18:36:02 PM »
I've got an 8 hole Kallax in my sewing room, it's really useful if you add drawers/cupboard front/the fabric boxes to fit. You can keep things in plastic bags inside the fabric boxes to prevent dust build up but mine are so crammed there's no room for dust to creep in  :). For fabric storage I have shelves and drawers in another Ikea unit ... for any sizeable pieces of fabric I think shelves are the way to go, with a blackout cover so the fabric doesn't discolour. I also have some Ikea cardboard boxes (in nice patterns) and they're useful for keeping smaller pieces of fabric (1.5m x 1m or so), if you pack them fairly tight you can store the fabric on it's side, Mari Kondo style.
I'm waiting for a ruthless mood to strike as I have made some rash fabric buying decisions over the years. I recently spent ages making a dress using a garish pucci meets jackson pollock type fabric: the style is great, but the dress is unwearable. Unless I'm invited to dinner with someone I really, really don't like  :D